Hi,

I am repeatedly getting "missing ) after argument list" in firefox.

hash_a is a variable.

$("#details_a").append("</br>"+"Enter Name "+"<input type='text' id='myText' />"+"<input type='button' id='theSubmitButton' value='Edit Name' onclick='edit_data("+hash_a+")\'\'>");

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

At the end of the statment you are escaping the two single quotes. I think that you only need one of them to complete the onclick code and I do not see anywhere else in the code where the single quote is escaped.

$("#details_a").append("</br>"+"Enter Name "+"<input type='text' id='myText' />"+"<input type='button' id='theSubmitButton' value='Edit Name' onclick='edit_data("+hash_a+")'/>");

I am still getting the same error.

Techie,

Try building your HTML string like this:

var strArray = [
	"</br>",
	"Enter Name ",
	"<input type='text' id='myText' />",
	"<input type='button' id='theSubmitButton' value='Edit Name' onclick='edit_data(",
	hash_a,
	")'/>"
];
$("#details_a").append(strArray.join(''));

The line number in the error message will give you a better clue.

There may be an apostrophe in hash_a , which is the same as single quote. If so then try either:
a) swapping double-quotes for single and vice versa.
b) passing escape(hash_a) to edit_data then unescape(...) inside the function.

Airshow

Hi,

I am repeatedly getting "missing ) after argument list" in firefox.

hash_a is a variable.

$("#details_a").append("</br>"+"Enter Name "+"<input type='text' id='myText' />"+"<input type='button' id='theSubmitButton' value='Edit Name' onclick='edit_data("+hash_a+")\'\'>");

Thanks.

$("#details_a").append(
"<\/br>"+
"Enter Name "+
"<input type='text' id='myText' \/>"+
"<input type='button' id='theSubmitButton' value='Edit Name' onclick='edit_data("+
hash_a+
")'\/>");

Are you sure that the error is actually occurred in this line? Could it possibly be from previous lines (incorrect parentheses matching)?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.