Hi,

I'm writing a script where user upload any video file and my script converts the video in flv format. Since video files are very heavy in size (I want to give upload limit of 10MB), it takes much time to upload.

I observed, when we upload any file to youtube, it does the job very quickly. Any suggestion to make the upload process quick?

I know youtube has very fast servers, but still I think there is more than servers.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Check out something like plupload http://www.plupload.com/.
It supports chunking on multiple different types of uploaders which won't make the upload go any faster, but effectively the user sees progress and the script isn't running for the entire 10mb upload, only long enough to process a chunk of n size.

My experiences with it thus far have been mostly positive, its documentation is a little lacking though.

2 things influence how fast it will appear to upload.

1) The user's connection speed. If they're connected through dial-up, there's not much you can do to make it faster. This is the lion's share of the time

2) Your processing time. Quite small relative to the time it takes to upload the file. This is about the only thing you can speed up. See if there are any optimizations you can do to speed up the transcoding. Likely though, the time gains you make here won't make much of a difference relative to the time it takes to upload the file.

2 things influence how fast it will appear to upload.

1) The user's connection speed. If they're connected through dial-up, there's not much you can do to make it faster. This is the lion's share of the time

2) Your processing time. Quite small relative to the time it takes to upload the file. This is about the only thing you can speed up. See if there are any optimizations you can do to speed up the transcoding. Likely though, the time gains you make here won't make much of a difference relative to the time it takes to upload the file.

Actually, I uploaded a file using my PHP script, and I uploaded the same file to youtube. But youtube was far better than mine by the mean of speed. That's why I'm still curious to know the way to do the uploading stuff fast.

I still think, there must be some other way. However, thanx for your advice.

Check out something like plupload http://www.plupload.com/.
It supports chunking on multiple different types of uploaders which won't make the upload go any faster, but effectively the user sees progress and the script isn't running for the entire 10mb upload, only long enough to process a chunk of n size.

My experiences with it thus far have been mostly positive, its documentation is a little lacking though.

Oh Yeah! I use such sort of uploaders. They are really good for usability. But again, my target is to save user from frustration. I don't want my user to see the animated progress bar for long.

By the way plupload looks good to be used in my next project :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.