hi can anyone help me with this ive trying for 2days to get this sorted but cant figure it out. i want to be able to list my data in the table which works fine then i want a link next to each data line to amend it heres my code so far.

<?php

$db = mysql_connect("localhost", "", "");
mysql_select_db(db) or die ('Unable to connect to database');

$q="SELECT * FROM mobilephones";

$result = mysql_query( $q )
or die(" - Failed More Information:<br><pre>$q</pre><br>Error: " . mysql_error());

$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($result);
if ($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

echo "<br>A Quick View<BR><br>";
echo "<table border=1>\n";
echo "<tr><td><b>make</b></td><td>model</td><td>camera</td><td>bluetooth</td><td>internet</td><td>smartphone</td></tr>\n";

do {
printf("<tr><td>%s</td><td>%s</td><td>%s</td><td>%s</td><td>%s</td><td>%s</td></tr>\n", $myrow["make"], $myrow["model"], $myrow["camera"], $myrow["bluetooth"], $myrow["internet"], $myrow["smartphone"]);
} while ($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result));
echo "</table>\n";
} else {
echo "$ref: That record appears to be unavailable"; 
} 

mysql_free_result($result);
mysql_close($db);
?></DIV></TD></html>

any help wud be great. thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Caeon

you would need a primary key in your table `mobilephones`. Do you have a primary key? If yes, what is it?

Also, for effiency purposes, try to avoid SELECT * if you are NOT going to use all the fields/columns in your table. Instead list only the fields/columns you need.

Like hielo said, a primary key is necessary. I would suggest making your primary key 'id' ('id' would be a numerical column that auto-increments for each entry so that they all have a unique id).

Then you just make a link on your table like:

<?
echo "<a href=\"www.yoursite.com/edit_phone.php?id=$row[id]\">Edit</a>";
?>

Then you can just use $_GET in your SQL statement to pull up all the info about it.

There's lots of ways to go about it, but that is a pretty simple way if you just want to "get the job done".

Hope this helps!

Edited by Caeon: forgot quote at the end of echo

the primary key is model andi would like to edit all fileds, can some1 help and write all the syntax for this to work as im confused stll can i replace the $_get to $_get

change line 17 on your first post to:

printf("<tr><td>%s</td><td>%s</td><td>%s</td><td>%s</td><td>%s</td><td>%s</td><td><a href=\"edit_phone.php?model=%s\">Edit</a></td></tr>\n", $myrow["make"], $myrow["model"], $myrow["camera"], $myrow["bluetooth"], $myrow["internet"], $myrow["smartphone"],$myrow['model']);

then create a page named "edit.php" where you can retrieve the specified record and provide edit fields for the specified record. You would be able to retrieve the selected record using $_GET['model']

thanks im making progress i have got the edits next to each phone and when i click on the edit link it brings up a form with the details in there but for some reason i can only edit the 1st record when i click update it says recored upadted but does not show the recored updated on the homepage. pls can u have a look at this code and tell me where i am going wrong.

<html><head><title>Edit</title>
<style type="text/css">
td {font-family: tahoma, arial, verdana; font-size: 10pt }
</style>
<h1>Edit the Required fields and submit</h1>

</head>
<body>
<?
  $_GET=$_GET['model'];

$dbServer=mysql_connect("localhost","","");
  if (!$dbServer) {echo "Failed to connect to MySQL"; exit; }

mysql_select_db("",$);
  $query=" SELECT * FROM mobilephones ";
  $result=mysql_query($query);
  $num=mysql_num_rows($result);

$i=0;
  while ($i < $num) {
  $make=mysql_result($result,$i,"make");
  $model=mysql_result($result,$i,"model");
  $camera=mysql_result($result,$i,"camera");
  $internet=mysql_result($result,$i,"internet");
  $smartphone=mysql_result($result,$i,"smartphone");
?>
  <table width="600" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" border="2">
  <tr align="center" valign="top">
  <td align="center" colspan="1" rowspan="1" bgcolor="#64b1ff">
  <h3>Edit and Submit</h3>
  <form action="change_record.php" method="post">
  <input type="hidden" name="ud_id" value="<? echo "$model" ?>">
  make:<input type="text" name="make" value="<? echo "$make"?>"><br>
  model: <input type="text" name="model" value="<? echo "$model"?>"><br>
  camera: <input type="text" name="camera" value="<? echo "$camera"?>"><br>
  internet:<input type="text" name="internet" value="<? echo "$internet"?>"><br>
  smartphone:<input type="text" name="smartphone" value="<? echo "$smartphone"?>"><br>
  <input type="Submit" value="Update">
  </form>
  </td></tr></table>

<?
++$i;
}
?>
</body>
</html>

then the submit button takes me to this

<html><head><title></title></head>
<body>
<?
$make=$_POST['make'];
$model=$_POST['model'];
$camera=$_POST['camera'];
$internet=$_POST['internet'];
$smartphone=$_POST['smartphone'];
mysql_select_db("",$);
mysql_query(" UPDATE mobilephones SET make='$make' , model='$model' , camera='$camera' , internet='$internet' , smartphone='$smartphone'");
echo "Record Updated";

?>
</body>
</html>

cud it b the $post im using but im not sure. thanks for ur help

Change Line 12 to:

$sql = "UPDATE mobilephones SET make='$make' , model='$model' , camera='$camera' , internet='$internet' , smartphone='$smartphone' WHERE model='$_POST[ud_id]'";
mysql_query($sql);

echo $sql;

Then you can make sure all your variables are being inputed correctly.

In your edit page, $_GET=$_GET['model']; really makes no sense AND You are NOT using the model value (from the previous Edit link) to filter out the results. I was expecting to see: $query=sprintf("SELECT * FROM mobilephones WHERE model='%s'", mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['model'])); which should give you the details of the specified/selected item. Furthermore, after executing that statement I was NOT expecting to see a while construct after that because if the model if in fact your primary key, it should be unique and you would get at most ONE record.

thanks that works fine for me now it updates the records when the required field is updated and the update button is pressed. I would now like to make a delete function any help on how i would make the 2 forms on how to do this would it be as simple as making the same forms as edit ones but jus changing the update or edit command to a delete one.

I personally never delete anything in my databases. I make an additional column called "deleted" and set the value to 1 if the item is deleted. That way if something gets "deleted" on accident you can recover it.

So, if something gets deleted just use an "UPDATE" statement to set deleted = '1'.

this would be a good idea but i need to have a delete command that would delete the data completley, i now have the edit and update pages sorted jus need some tips for the delete fucntion what wud b the beest way to go about it.

im a bit confused where in my code do i put that line

<html><head><title></title></head>
<body>
<?
$make=$_POST['make'];
$model=$_POST['model'];
$camera=$_POST['camera'];
$internet=$_POST['internet'];
$smartphone=$_POST['smartphone'];
mysql_select_db("",$d);
$sql = "DELETE mobilephones SET make='$make' , model='$model' , camera='$camera' , internet='$internet' , smartphone='$smartphone' WHERE model='$_POST[ud_id]'";mysql_query($sql); echo $sql;$sql = "DELETE mobilephones SET make='$make' , model='$model' , camera='$camera' , internet='$internet' , smartphone='$smartphone' WHERE model='$_POST[ud_id]'";
mysql_query($sql);

echo "Record DELETED";

?>

Just make a link on your display that says delete.

<a href="www.yoursite.com/delete.php?model_id=$model_id">Delete</a>

Then change your sql to this. (Info about DELETE statement: http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_delete.asp)

$sql = "DELETE FROM mobilephones WHERE model='$_GET[model_id]";
mysql_query($sql);
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.