PHP and MySQL Web Development
by Luke Welling, Laura Thomson

Extremely useful - This is a very useful book. If you're a web developer, and you're starting out with PHP, it will do wonders. It covers many important things such as creating a successful shopping cart, web based e-mail, web forums, and working with files such as PDF and images. What I enjoy most about this book is that it teaches you PHP and MySQL in a very coherent manner. In the beginning, it has a thorough introduction to PHP and its list of functions and it even covers PHP classes. It does this in a clean and understandable manner that is easy to follow. The chapters on MySQL and databases are also well put together. It covers the theory and implementation rather well using real world examples. Overall, it's an excellent book. If you're already a programmer, you'll fly through the chapters without any hassle.

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

I agree, this is the best book that I owned when starting out with PHP/MySQL.

I don't use it much anymore, as I only really use a function reference manual when I need to remember what exactly a function does, etc.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone new to PHP. :)

I know some PHP, just need a little uptiming. I'll check into it, what was the cost that the book was running for and what version PHP does it cover?

sir,
how can i get access to this book at all cost.....
MarCarNar

Try browsing Amazon or something. Maybe even 'eh, lets see, Barnes & Nobles, I saw it at B&N but didnt get it quite yet.

If anyone in Australia is considering buying this book then do it on Amazon. It's $40 cheaper than from a bookstore here even when shipping is taken into account. US dollar is finally working our way for once!

Always great to hear our commerce is doing good.

hey im new to this forum..
I am totally new to this php thing. Im planning on working on computers when i get older. Where should I go to first to start learning. Remember I basiclly know nothing.

Ummmmm, you cn browse around, if you want to learn how to build PC's, PHP is basically used in computer programming and website scripting, which do you prefer help with?

i would probably more prefer building comps.. where could i learn alot about it.. Where did yous start off on learning parts and how they work with the computer?

I can recommend this book. I've had it a couple of weeks now and it leads you by the nose through to the point where you can do something useful pretty quickly. I've already written a couple of useful scripts that have made administering my site a lot easier!

Well PHP has more capabilites than any other programing script made today if you spend time on it, its really the best out there. MySQL is supported by PHP and PHP can be desgined to read anyother type of database out there with the right scripting.

This is a great book. Comes very handy. I was never good with OOP and the OOP section in this book was thorough enough that I now understand the basics with OOP programming in PHP. Highly Recommended.

Thanks for the reccomendation, I'll check it out

PHP and MySQL Web Development
by Luke Welling, Laura Thomson

Extremely useful - This is a very useful book. If you're a web developer, and you're starting out with PHP, it will do wonders. It covers many important things such as creating a successful shopping cart, web based e-mail, web forums, and working with files such as PDF and images. What I enjoy most about this book is that it teaches you PHP and MySQL in a very coherent manner. In the beginning, it has a thorough introduction to PHP and its list of functions and it even covers PHP classes. It does this in a clean and understandable manner that is easy to follow. The chapters on MySQL and databases are also well put together. It covers the theory and implementation rather well using real world examples. Overall, it's an excellent book. If you're already a programmer, you'll fly through the chapters without any hassle.

Yep this book is amazing. ive got a copy of their 2nd Edition.

I just got the 3rd edition.... any suggestions before I start?

I just got the 3rd edition.... any suggestions before I start?

for me personally, 2nd edtion of that book contains superb php-mysql coverage. i dont know what's in 3rd edtion but im sure its better than 2nd edition since php and mysql development evolving so fast. you need to be updated frequently :)

I got a copy from my local library. If yours does not have it, they can likely order it from some other library. Amazon has it online. However, there are SO many books in this category (good and bad) that I prefer using them a bit before I actually buy them.

I got a copy from my local library. If yours does not have it, they can likely order it from some other library. Amazon has it online. However, there are SO many books in this category (good and bad) that I prefer using them a bit before I actually buy them.

4 YEAR OLD BUMP, for the love of all that is benevolent and good in this world READ THE DAMN DATE before posting.

Feral Reason: Is there some logical reason why you would answer a post from 2005 now?

We are using Pacific Timesheet software (http://www.pacifictimesheet.com) for time tracking software and want to add some additional modules written in PHP to it. Does anyone have experience integration php with a java web application?

Regards,
Bernie Stein

commented: Unnecessary bump. Start a new thread. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.