Hi everyone...I'm very much new to java scripting..My problem is...I have a situation where I have to check wether the text entered into a text box contains "_" (underscore) or not..I have to use this in javascript of my asp.net page. can anyone help me with some code..??

Recommended Answers

This is the Java forum, you might want to visit the JavaScript forum :).

Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

This is the Java forum, you might want to visit the JavaScript forum :).

To check if a string contains a specific character or set of characters in JavaScript use indexOf().

Syntax: string.indexOf(searchstring) Example:

str="hello word";
if (str.indexOf("_")>0){
	alert("Has underscore");
}
else{
        alert("Does not have underscore");
}

The str variable would take the data from the textbox. The indexOf() function returns to position of the character if present in the string or returns a -1 if not present.

Hope this helps and all the best.

Another simple built-in function is match(). It is similar to indexOf() but it returns a boolean instead. If it found the pattern (string or regexp), it will return true; otherwise, it will return false.

if("hasNoUnderscore".match(/_/)) { alert("Yes") } //  use regexp to match
else { alert("No") }
if("hasNoUnderscore".match("_")) { alert("Yes") } //  use string pattern to match
else { alert("No") }

if("has_underscore_more".match(/_/)) { alert("Yes") }  // use regexp to match
else { alert("No") }
if("has_underscore_more".match("_")) { alert("Yes") }  // use string pattern to match
else { alert("No") }
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.