Hi,

I'm currently working on a site in which a user basically clicks a button repeatedly, gaining 1 extra point each time he clicks it.

Anyway, I'm trying to do a MySQL update so that when the button is clicked, it updates his score in one of the MySQL tables:

<?php
if(isset($_POST['update'])) {
mysql_connect("localhost","XXX","XXX") or die(mysql_error()); 
mysql_select_db("refrigerator") or die(mysql_error()); 

$username = $_COOKIE["user"];
mysql_query("UPDATE count SET count='5' WHERE username = '$username'");
}
?>

When the button is clicked, nothing happens - no error, no nothing.

This did work once, when I asked it to change count to '55555', but then I changed something and it stopped working. I did undo everything I did to try and get it working again, but couldn't manage it.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by gabrielcastillo

Modify your update statement to the one below

mysql_query("UPDATE count SET count=(count + 5) WHERE username = '$username'");

count is a keyword, so you MUST wrap it in backticks. As a matter of fact, it is better if you always put backticks around your field and table names, that way you will always avoid this problem:
NOTE: The general syntax is: UPDATE `TableName` SET `fieldName`='value' Based on what you posted, the sql should be: mysql_query("UPDATE `count` SET `count`='5' WHERE `username` = '$username'"); Are you sure that BOTH your tableName AND your fieldName are named count? If not, fix your statement accordingly.

Edited by hielo: n/a

Yeah, both the table name and field name are called 'count'. And I don't want it to set count as 'count+1' just yet, so that won't help I'm afraid.

With regards to the backticks, I'll give it a go but I haven't used them anywhere else in the site and it's seemed to work fine without them.

Thanks

mysql_query("UPDATE <Table Name> SET count=(count + 5) WHERE username = '$username'");

Edited by JorgeM: Please use the signature tool in your profile. No links in the post for the purpose of promoting your site.

I believe your query is wrong. If you want to increment the count when a user clicks you would need to add count plus 1

$query = mysql_query("UPDATE count SET count = (count + 1) WHERE username = '$username'");
//Check if query has ran.
if(!$query){
    die('Error with query').mysql_error();
}
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.