I have a php script displaying muliple pages of records which has problems with the pagination of the web pages.
When it loads for the first time I get 2 Notice: Undefined index messages - as shown below:

Notice: Undefined index: start in /customers/swaag.org/swaag.org/httpd.www/SWAAG-DATABASE/VIEW_in_STEPS5b.php on line 210
Notice: Undefined index: p_f in /customers/swaag.org/swaag.org/httpd.www/SWAAG-DATABASE/VIEW_in_STEPS5b.php on line 497

See code below:

210  $start=$_GET['start'];								// To take care global variable if OFF
211  if(!($start > 0)) {                         // This variable is set to zero for the first page
212  $start = 0;
213  }

495  ///// Variables set for advance paging///////////
496  $p_limit=20; // This should be more than $limit and set to a value for whick links to be breaked
497  $p_f=$_GET['p_f'];		// To take care global variable if OFF
498  if(!($p_f > 0)) {                         // This variable is set to zero for the first page
499  $p_f = 0;

When I use the script to click from page to page, and even back to the first page, I never see the Notice message again, it only occurs when the page loads for the first time.

I have intialised the $_GET variable with a zero which cures the problem but it interfers with the pagination then.

I have tried to find a way to intialise the $_GET on page load, but then not any more as the script loads further pages - but without success,
but it may be due to my low php skill level.

I have tried to turn off the notifications using the 3 lines below, but again with no effect.

ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);

error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);

error_reporting(0);

Is there any other way of turning off the Notification when this script runs? or initialising the $_GET's only once when the page loads?

Many thanks in advance

Stephen

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by stephen_UK

You get this error message because you're trying to retrieve $_GET from the URL when it doesn't exist. Why not check whether the variable exists before deciding what to do with its value.

E.g.

<?php
    if (isset($_GET['start'])) { $start = $_GET['start']; } 
    else { $start = 0; }  
?>

Alternatively, add the start variable in the URL that links to the first page, then you wouldn't have this problem.

<a href="/VIEW_in_STEPS5b.php?start=0"

Many thanks nonshatter your a star!

Both solutions worked. Where would we be without folks like your good self who are willing to share their knowledge.

All the best

Stephen

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.