hotscripts 0 Newbie Poster

Ok I will apologize because I am not a programmer and I will need anyone who responds to be very clear. I appreciate any and all advice and help I am given.

Ok here it is,

I have a program being developed and it seems from the last test to be about 85% done. Now the people programming have run into a snag which seems a bit strange since they have gotten this far already. So I will give you some info on the program the purpose of it and what the snag is and why it is occurring.

Our website and a description of what the program mimics
Note: our site is built using perl_mod some java and html and is hosted on a Linux server. We use MYSQL Database to handle the information and a regular directory to store images and other files.

Example
On our website you decide you want to sell say a coffee cup, so you go the sell screen once logged in fill in the forms, title, description, price etc., then you have the option of adding pictures. So you click the "browse" button search your PC for pics you want and then you done with the form. now you hit the preview button and it shows you what it will look like, if you like it you then hit the "post" button and the data is sent to the server / database. Anyone reading this that has used ebay to sell something it is basically the same process to list an item.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The program:

This program basically creates (mimics) the selling format for our website so users can make templates and upload multiples of the same items to a site similar to eBay. It is programmed in .net framework and seems to be pretty stable.
Now you download the program install it and then you open your browser log into our website, then you open this program which recognizes that you are logged into the website due to the browser being opened and you being logged in.

Now you create you listing in much of the same way by filling in the forms and getting it the way you want it. You can also click the "browse" button on the program and find pictures on your pc to use in the listing. (sama as the website), now you are done you hit the upload button to send the data to the website.

(Now you may ask why have the program, the answer is people who sell very similar items if they use the website have to list each item separately, the program will allow you to create one template duplicate that one as many times as you want. Then you can go in to each one and edit that one or two things like price or color or size and then upload them all at once. Saves allot of time.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Snag Or problem the program is having:

Now this problem has two parts an ftp problem and a programming problem. I will explain the ftp problem first...

FTP
In the particular folder that you need to save the images to we have 200,000 + images in there already. so you can not just pop over and open the file it is just to big and that is the problem with ftp. When the program tries to open the directory to drop the image it get's the Timeout (60000) error. I understand this error so the question I had was the script on the website can post to this directory flawlessly, which tells me that the website script is not opening the image directory it is just saving to it. Can anyone comment on this am I thinking the right way here? So I am assuming that when a user hits "post" on the website that it sends the data to the database and the picture gets saved in the image directory, now does the perl_ script use ftp method to upload or is it something else. My question is there a way to program an upload where it just saves to a file instead of opening it?

Program
In regards to the ftp problem the programmers tell me the way to save the images to the images folder has to be done by ftp and they said they are connecting fine but they get the Timeout (60000) error because the program is connecting and trying to OPEN the image file..

Now I know what they are saying is true because if I ftp to my site and try and open the file it also times out. Now that file although it has 200,000 files is only 2.8 MB in size and I am more than sure that there are websites that have folder 100x's that people save data to so this is what I need to know how to do. Now I have confidence in the programmers as far as what they have done so far but I think this is something that should not be so hard to troubleshoot.

So all in all we just need a resolution to have the program save the images to that directory with out opening the whole directory...

Please help

JGBNS@aol.com

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.