Hi everyone Im new here and not very good with Javascript, so here im asking for a little help for my proyect

the problem is Im trying to calculate text fields from results of php query

my fields come from the query as amount1, amount2....

what i need is for JS to Sum those fields dynamically, I already did code for when i have all the values and for when the text field name is the same, but never for query results where the names are different

this is what i have so far but its not working

function calculatesumexcon() {

var a, total = 0;
  var countJS = "<?=$count?>"; <-- variable of php that gives me the number of rows im getting on the query 
  var i ;

for ($i=0;$i<countJS;$i++){
  var elements = document.getElementsById('amount' + i);

for(a=0; a<elements.length; a++){
          total += (parseFloat(elements[a].value));
   }
}  
   document.getElementById("totalextracon").value = total ;

}

Please help!

Why don't you do this is PHP? You can sum them as you query.

Why don't you do this is PHP? You can sum them as you query.

Yes I know there is a way to get this from a query but you require to use a button for it... in this case we are on the page where the user can modify the quantity if they wish from the database, So I show the data, they modify and see the result for the sum before submitting the form

I can't really visualize how your application works.

On the page there is a textbox, user input and it calculates the value of this textbox + some value from the DB?

If this is the case, you can sum the amount from query first. Then onchange textbox value run a function that simply adds up the 2 values and output in a div.

I can't really visualize how your application works.

On the page there is a textbox, user input and it calculates the value of this textbox + some value from the DB?

If this is the case, you can sum the amount from query first. Then onchange textbox value run a function that simply adds up the 2 values and output in a div.

this is a consult page for service cost...

what the user do is search for services costs in a determinate month & year

the result will be a drop down list (populated by data from DB) & the textbox with the cost of the service (also saved on the db)

this show as many times as services there is for that month & year hence the amount1, amount2, amount3, & so on

The user will modify cost of service if he wishes & has to see the amount changing on another textbox totalextracon, because that is part of another math calculation. I dont care to do the SUM to show when i do the query because that field already has a value, (It already do the SUM when you register for the first time so its already on DB, I just show it)

So i need to this with JavaScript because it has to be modified (dynamically) at the moment, its required by the costumer, as i said before I did it on another cases but this i really dont know how to put together the changing of the name

the help will be appreciated

I'll try to help slowly..

Let's start from this..

<script>
function showcost() {
	document.getElementById("cost").value = document.getElementById('serviceslist').value;
}
</script>

<?php
$services = array(
"0" => array("desc" => "Service 1", "cost" => "$100"),
"1" => array("desc" => "Service 2", "cost" => "$200"),
"2" => array("desc" => "Service 3", "cost" => "$300"),
);
?>

<select id="serviceslist" onchange="showcost()">
<?php
for ($i=0;$i<count($services);$i++) {
	echo "<option value='".$services[$i]['cost']."'>".$services[$i]['desc']."</option>";
}
?>
</select>

<input type="text" id="cost"">

I've used a array to emulate your DB..

Hi, It seems that code is some sort of query where you add the values to the select, & that is not what I need, all my query & updates are done, I just need a math calculation

I will put here this picture where you can see what i have already & I hope you can understand what Im asking...

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd197/Madehoney/sample.jpg

Hey,

You can try this. Basically the concept should be there but you need to populate your own DB values into more dropdown values.

<script>
function showcost() {
	document.getElementById("cost").value = document.getElementById('serviceslist').value;
}

function sum() {
	var x = document.getElementById('cost').value;
	var y = document.getElementById('amount').value;
	var total = parseFloat(x) + parseFloat(y);
	document.getElementById("total").value = total;
}
</script>

<?php
$services = array(
"0" => array("desc" => "Service 1", "cost" => "100"),
"1" => array("desc" => "Service 2", "cost" => "200"),
"2" => array("desc" => "Service 3", "cost" => "300"),
);
?>

<select id="serviceslist" onchange="showcost(); sum()">
<?php
for ($i=0;$i<count($services);$i++) {
	echo "<option value='".$services[$i]['cost']."'>".$services[$i]['desc']."</option>";
}
?>
</select>

<input type="text" id="cost"" onchange="sum()" value="0">

<input type="text" id="amount" onchange="sum()" value="0">

<input type="text" id="total" value="0">

Hi a friend helped me to do it was very similar to the one I posted on the first post... thank you for the effort anyway

I was wondering (i dont know if I need to open another thread for this, let me know please)

I have 2 drop downs (2nd is hidden) populated from database, both should have on the start the same choices BUT if I make 1 choice on the first drop down, that selected option needs to be deleted from drop down 2, and so on if i keed adding drop downs...

there is a way to do this on Javascript?

Can you help to post your solution your friend gave?
as I am working on something similar as well,
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi a friend helped me to do it was very similar to the one I posted on the first post... thank you for the effort anyway

I was wondering (i dont know if I need to open another thread for this, let me know please)

I have 2 drop downs (2nd is hidden) populated from database, both should have on the start the same choices BUT if I make 1 choice on the first drop down, that selected option needs to be deleted from drop down 2, and so on if i keed adding drop downs...

there is a way to do this on Javascript?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.