I made this function and the problem i have is that the Variavle $Time is not available to the whole program and what i mean by that is the function runs but doesn't set the variable to the whole thing and i have tested the function by doing echos.

Is there a way to set the variable in the function usable out side of the function.

function Times()
{
if (time() < mktime(12,00,00))
{
$Time = 'AM';
}
else
{
$Time = 'PM';
}
}

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I made this function and the problem i have is that the Variavle $Time is not available to the whole program and what i mean by that is the function runs but doesn't set the variable to the whole thing and i have tested the function by doing echos.

Is there a way to set the variable in the function usable out side of the function.

function Times()
{
if (time() < mktime(12,00,00))
{
$Time = 'AM';
}
else
{
$Time = 'PM';
}
}

By default, all variables used in functions are local variables, even if you use the same name of a global variable. You have to declare them global within the function. You can achieve this by adding this to the start of that function:

global $Time;

-Fredric

Thanks that helps a lot

rather than create a global variable I'd have done it this way

function Times()
{
  if (time() < mktime(12,00,00)) $Time = 'AM';
  else $Time = 'PM';
  return $Time;
}

$thisTime = Times();
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.