Hi

I'm writing a site that allows users to download documents securely stored on the network off of the web server.

I'm using a com object on the server that we've been using here for ages that fetches the file from the network in a binary stream thus preventing user access to the network.

The problem I'm having is when the user clicks on the link, instead of the file opening, the page reloads itself with the stream as its source.

On the open save dialog instead of filename.* I get MyPage.aspx as the file name it is as if my response.AddHeader is not working.

It all works fine on my localbox -it only happens after I publish to a test deployment server.

(This is the first time I've tried this in Visual studio 2010 with .Net framework 4.)

Here is my Page and code:

<!-- inside of a datarepeater....-->

<asp:LinkButton ID="MyLink" runat="server" CommandArgument='<%# Eval("FilePath") %>' CommandName='<%# Eval("FileName") %>' ToolTip="Open File" OnCommand="LinkButton1_Click" CssClass="PrimaryNavigation"><%# Eval("FileName") %></asp:LinkButton>

And here is the code behind:

Protected Sub LinkButton1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CommandEventArgs)
        Dim o As Object = CreateObject("#######") 'object that brings back stream
        Dim vntStream() As Byte
        Dim CmdArg, CmdName As String
        CmdArg = e.CommandArgument 'fullpath to file 
        CmdName = e.CommandName 'Filename
       'get binary stream
        vntStream = o.FetchDocument(Server.UrlDecode(CmdArg.ToString)) 

'Add header - does not seam to be working
        Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "Attachment; Filename=" & CmdName)

'Write Out Binary stream
        Response.BinaryWrite(vntStream)

'Finish
        Response.End()

End Sub

Like I said, it looks like the line Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "Attachment; Filename=" & CmdName) is not working.

Anyone out there see what's going wrong?

Hi all,
I found it through trial and error.

I added Response.Clear and Response.ClearHeaders before appending my header and it did the trick.

Protected Sub LinkButton1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CommandEventArgs)
        Dim o As Object = CreateObject("#######") 'object that brings back stream
        Dim vntStream() As Byte
        Dim CmdArg, CmdName As String
        CmdArg = e.CommandArgument 'fullpath to file 
        CmdName = e.CommandName 'Filename
       'get binary stream
        vntStream = o.FetchDocument(Server.UrlDecode(CmdArg.ToString)) 
        Response.Clear()
        Response.ClearHeaders()
        'Add header - does not seam to be working
        Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "Attachment; Filename=" & CmdName)

'Write Out Binary stream
        Response.BinaryWrite(vntStream)

'Finish
        Response.End()

End Sub
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.