hey there,
I am trying to set up tomcat on my computer (I am so new to this, I am not even sure I am explaining my problem correctly.)

I was told to install XAMPP. I did using the installer that appache's web site offers. It says that the installer installs tomcat too. I can see the tomcat folder inside my XAMPP folder, but when I check for status on localhost index page, I see 'tomcat deactivated'. and when I check for status under J2EE section I see the following:

Warning! Tomcat is not started on port 8080.

one of the links in this page is: http://127.0.0.1:8080/. when I click on it, the page that comes up says: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:8080.

What is wrong? what am I missing. I kindly ask you to help me. thank you in advance!

alright, I have my issue solved. the problem was:
after runing startup.bat (because I assumed the cmd windows should close itself), I'd assume that something was wrong since the cmd would not close, and I'd close it. no wonder it did not work then :)

You need to run manually following bat file
c:\xamppTomcat\catalina_start

or

put

catalina_start
catalina_stop

in XAMPP control panel start up

or

put

catalina_start
catalina_stop

in XAMPP control panel start up

How to do this? I tried to copy catalina_start and catalina_stop from tomcat folder into the root of xampp folder, but when I again running xampp control panel and click on Start Tomcat its still not starting. What to do in order to run tomcat from cntrol panel rather than manually from root folder? thanks in advance

I tried "catalina_start" and this is what I get.

catalina_start

[XAMPP]: Searching JDK HOME with reg query ...
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
. [XAMPP]: Cannot find current JDK installation!
. [XAMPP]: Cannot set JAVA_HOME. Aborting ...

I have the same problem as @mmt200575. when I try to run catalina_start.bat it say

catalina_start .

[XAMPP]: Searching JDK HOME with reg query ...
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
. [XAMPP]: Cannot find current JDK installation!
. [XAMPP]: Cannot set JAVA_HOME. Aborting ...

I have installed JDK at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\ and also set the registry value of "Java/JDK home" by "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\"
nothing change, same error showing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.