Hi. I'm not sure if this is possible with PHP or not...

I want to be able to have a user enter a phone number, and then the site will call the number with a message. For instance, it'll call them with their confirmation code. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

In theory you can send sms with php. However, every script I've found that purports to be able to do this has failed on me. There should be quite a few scripts out there by now. I think you need to know the network provider of the number.

Or is there any other web development code that allows that?

What would I need to do to create a system that dials a phone number?

It's easy to send a text message and there are lots of posts that address that. One example.

If you really want to do this as a voice message, it gets (a lot) more complicated. You now need access to a server that has a telephone network connection and an API that lets you send (or receive) messages. Someone has to pay for that so chances are that it is going to cost you something. A couple of possibilities are:
Twilio
Google Talk
You can do a search and find others.

You might be able to find something off the shelf that does what you want but you're going to have to do some research. If you want to keep it simple, asking for a cell phone number and sending it as a text message is a whole lot quicker and simpler.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.