I couldn't decide where would be the right place to post this, so I decided to try php since Wordpress is at least built in php.

I need to find a way to duplicate my Wordpress installation on a subdomain. I want to create a mobile version of my site at m.iknowtec.com but I can't quite figure out how. All I really want duplicated is the posts, users, cookie info, etc... none of the site options.

Any help?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If you want a separate WordPress theme using the same database, all you need to do is change the css files. What do you mean you don't want the options? The options are stored in the database as variables. To screw around with the options in WordPress, you're going to have to recode the entire thing.

What I want to do is create an almost exact clone of my site, just on a subdomain. I could just copy over all the files, but then it would be pulling all the options (theme, site title, etc) from that database too.

Like I said, all the options should be stored in the database.

I don't use WordPress so I don't really know how they do it, but any site that allows changes has to store that changing variable somewhere, and it's usually the database. PHP asks the database for these variables and then displays the website based on them.

If WordPress does not have the option of multiple themes, you're going to have a lot of work if you want to implement it yourself. If you don't want to fiddle with WordPress, you can copy the files and edit the css properties without changing the names.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.