I have created my .htaccess file using notepad, its empty at the moment, im on windows. how do i upload it to my server? do i place the file inside my website directory or outside? and how do i test whether the whole process was successful or not?

Recommended Answers

Just put the file in your website root. However, if it is empty, you cannot check anything.

Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

Just put the file in your website root. However, if it is empty, you cannot check anything.

I managed to upload it, but i think my .htaccess feature is not enabled in my host.... :-(. i have created a test folder in my control panel, inside i included a simple index.html file, .htaccess file and .htpasswd inside the .htaccess file i tested with ths script:

AuthType Basic 
AuthName "Members Only" 
AuthUserFile /home/users(me)/wwwroot(publich_html)/test/.htpasswd 
<limit GET PUT POST> 
require valid-user 
</limit>

to give website permissions to authorized users only, and then in the .htpasswd i used: admin:01vokOibos3pg. But the MEMBERS ONLY popup box is not appearing when i navigate to http://www.mywebsite.com/test/index.html , only the html file shows. Any advises?

No, looks okay to me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.