Hello,

Currently I have a PHP Script that screen scrapes a website for data, and store it into a MySQL table. I'd like to set this up to run in intervals during the day. Right now, all I do is open the link in my browser and it runs the script. I'd like to automate this process somehow.

I read up, and since I'm using WAMP, apparently I need to use task scheduler. Is there a way around this? Is there a better way to do what I want to be done?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

A scheduled task is exactly what you are looking for. If your application has to be in PHP, then there are no real other options.

A scheduled task is exactly what you are looking for. If your application has to be in PHP, then there are no real other options.

Thanks. It doesn't have to be in PHP, it's just how I coded it/most comfortable with. Not sure how to screen scrape any other way.

When doing a scheduled task, I'm assuming the computer would need to be on? And the file would be local, not on a server. Correct?

You can run the task on the server, if that's where your PHP file is. And yes, the computer needs to be turned on.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.