Hello!

I'm here to ask for any help or assistance on getting an informations and ideas I need

for storing files in my web application research project. I'm new to Visual Web

Developer Express 2008 so I hope you will bare with me. Im trying to develop a web

application that engages an account management system. The account that I'm talking about

here is similar to any accounts we have like the accounts we have in our email, accounts

in a company websites, accounts in social-networking sites, accounts in youtube or any

website that offers us to create an account. So, basically when we are talking about

accounts it associates with the user's login. Now, what Im trying to find out here is the

thing what to use to store the files that are associated with that particular account.

The files that Im talking about here are such like video files, image files,documents and

etc. on the account that are being displayed. To expound more, let's say I have an

account on that certain website and that account of mine contains my video files,

pictures, and documents such like comments or any paragraph post messages. So where did

those files being saved or stored? What item should I use in Visual Web Developer to

store those types of files. How do I store those kinds of files for a certain account? I

hope somebody can give me a useful informations about this concern.

Thank you very much and I greatly appreciate any help regarding this matter.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

For things like comments and posts, which aren't actually files, you would simply store them in a database. For saving files you would want to set up a folder (or several) to house the files and then use a database to show what files are linked to which user. For this you would have a table that had the user id and the file name with maybe some other information. To make this work the files saved would have to have unique names of course so you would need to add some kind of unique identifier to the file name.
I hope that helps,

For things like comments and posts, which aren't actually files, you would simply store them in a database. For saving files you would want to set up a folder (or several) to house the files and then use a database to show what files are linked to which user. For this you would have a table that had the user id and the file name with maybe some other information. To make this work the files saved would have to have unique names of course so you would need to add some kind of unique identifier to the file name.
I hope that helps,

Thanks hericles, so basically the files are being store in a folder and just linked up with the unique identifier from the database when it is queried, right? so what type of folder to use in order to put all those files in there and how it is being linked up with your database unique identifier?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.