I am using php to list out categories for a particular item while making blog.But i am listing out all the categories which are present in database in the list.I created a category table in my database.my code is listed as follows:

<?php
                                               include 'connection.php';

$list  ="select name from categories";
    //$list  = "SELECT DISTINCT name FROM categories";
$rlist = mysql_query($list) or die(mysql_error());

while($rows = mysql_fetch_assoc($rlist)) 
 { 
 $catname = $rows['name'];
 echo '<li><a href="/index.php?id=' . $catname . '">' . $catname . '</a></li>';

} 

?>

this is categories table
id name p_id
1 new release 3
2 videos 3
3 Trailer 3
4 Latest song 3
5 New Devices 4
6 Mobiles 4
7 PC 4

i created blog for movies,gadget,design..p_id is the respective ids of movies,gadget,design.Name is the subcategory of movies,gadget,design.movies,gadget,design comes under another table called page.Any help would be appreciated

Edited by Ezzaral: Added code tags. Please use them to format any code that you post. You could also stand to learn to indent properly.

Contributors
Replies
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by diafol

So what do you want? I can't see an outlines problem in your post. Are you looking for a JOIN??

Yes,is there way to use join here

Sorry bavenbabu, but this is like drawing blood from a stone. You want to use join, but you don't say which fields you need to show/format or which are the PK/FK fields

Sorry bavenbabu, but this is like drawing blood from a stone. You want to use join, but you don't say which fields you need to show/format or which are the PK/FK fields

movie is a category under which there arise subcategories like new release,latest song.I want to display in the same page categories and subcategories of different items on clicking the named categories.

SELECT c.`name`,s.`subname` FROM categories AS c INNER JOIN subcategories AS s ON s.cat_id = c.id ORDER BY c.`name`, s.`subname`;

THe you run query and loop:

$output="";$head="";
while($data = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){
   $output .= ($data['name'] != $head) ? "<h3>{$data['name']}</h3>" : "<p>{$data['subname']}</p>";
   $head = $data['name'];
}

echo $output;

Edited by diafol: n/a

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.