I need to change the setting on a our website for a utility program so that the users can SEE the letters and numbers they type when they log in. The same problem exists when the people who work here fill in the data for that user. We set them up in the database here, they cannot "join"
All anyone ever sees are big black "DOTS" the "hidden character". With IE and FIREFOX both set to remember the password, the problem is getting worse If their password is "c65re9kj6" they only "see" 9 black dots. When they fill in their username IE or Firefox puts in these dots for them after the first time. If they don't notice and accidentally change it even one time and hit enter, that changes the cache in IE or FF so next time, they click to enter, the dots are filled in for them, it looks the same but won’t work. Since we assign them the name and the password and they are pretty cryptic, most forget them immediately and trust the browser.
But we have even had problem here with the person entering the data.
They have no idea what they are typing all they see is black dots as well since it is "hidden" This is not a particularly security sensitive area and we would MUCH rather these were visible to the people typing them. They get new ones every two weeks anyway.
I have searched through every possible place for this setting but cannot find it. The code is html mostly with some php and a little java. It is ONLY the password field that causes this problem.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
PS: I am NOT!!! an expert, not even much of an amateur programmer. But I can get it done if I knew where to look.
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

When you set the field type there will be an option for passwords, instead of password set it to text.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp

Not that it is recommended but if you think that is the only option

They have no idea what they are typing all they see is black dots as well since it is "hidden" This is not a particularly security sensitive area and we would MUCH rather these were visible to the people typing them. They get new ones every two weeks anyway.

That's the reason you have a "password [field]" followed by a "confirm password [field]", so that if there was a typing error on one of them the fields will not match and the pass will not be accepted until corrected.

passwords are supposed to be 'concealed'. it increases the security you have no one will break into your account.

can you imagine what it would be, if hotmail or gmail didn't have this feature, and everyone standing around you could see the password you enter?
I'm pretty sure that, right after you logg off of your mail account, if someone was standing next to you, everybody you have in your addressbook will pretty soon get a mail from you stating:

"I'm GAAAAY!!! And I'm going to party. Do you wanna be my BF? Kisses"

so: security sensitive (in your opinion) or not (basically, the fact that someone felt there was need to have a password there, begs to differ. but if that really is what you want, iamthwee 's suggestion should do the trick.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.