I've been using Ruby and Rails and other ancillary technologies for a few weeks now. I've gone through many articles, blogs, tutorials, et al. However, I've rarely found any downloadable "working examples" or "real-world applications". Everything is very basic and it's proven difficult to learn beyond the basics. It could very well be that I'm searching Google with the wrong keywords? In any case, I know sometimes the real gems (pun intended) out there don't always show up in the top of the search results. So I wanted to ask the community for recommendations regarding tutorials, informative sites, and I'd REALLY like to find some apps I can download, run, tweak, etc. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what real-world applications you are looking for. Many in the open source are considered real-world? For example, this declarative authentication is a plug-in but a complete Rails web app. It is easy to use and integrate into your existing Rails app.

I understand that it is difficult to find a good big example, but that is the point. If you eventually found one, you could easily be overwhelmed by it and may lose courage to learn how to do it. There are many tricks and such that you should learn it bit by bit. You could implement your own application as well. I did many applications on my own while I was learning. One application I did was a design document generator. But before I could do one, I need to understand and know what I want in the app. The hard part is the layout for me because I am not a designer...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.