Hi!

I need to insert data in to two tables in a same database at the same time. One will be editable where i will remove stock but one will be history where all data stays intacted.

Is it possible to do it?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

THis is duplication of data, you very rarely need to do something like this. This suggests that your tables aren't set up properly. A history table should link to the 'editable' table via an 'id'.

Hi,

This should not be too hard to do. You can start by writing a simple function to do the db insert, and then call this function or method whenever there is something to be inserted.

for example, we can create something like this..* WARNING! Script below is not tested. I just made this up to give you the general idea.*

function insert_to_db($query,$filter,$table){
    $dbConnect = mysql_connect("localhost", "dBUserName", "$dbPassword");
    mysql_select_db($table);

## $filter is something that will trigger or sort types of events so that we can actually execute the query if any or one of the set condition/s has been met.
    #$db is the database connection

if($filter = 'condition 1'){

mysql_query($query);
    ## add your error checking and connection failed below
    mysql_close($dbConnect);

}

else{

## if you only have two $filters then else is appropriate to use. However, for multiple $filter, use else if or if else.

mysql_query($query);
    ## add your error checking and connection failed below
    mysql_close($dbConnect);

}

## you can either return it true or say something to acknowledged the transaction  OR you can return from within the if and else statements.
    return true;

}

To use the function you will have provide the database query. Let's use the above function assuming that it has been tested and error free.

$tableOne_query = "INSERT INTO Table_ONe(col_one, col_two, col_three) VALUES ('value_one',value_two','value_three')";

$tableTwo_query = "INSERT INTO Table_Two(col_one, col_two, col_three) VALUES ('value_one',value_two','value_three')";

## now we can call our function above to do the dirty work..

$insertTo_table_One = insert_to_db($tableOne_query,'condtion 1', 'Table_ONe');

## you can make a checkpoint here to see if the query One is successful , and if does execute the second query. For smaller apps this is pretty functional I think.

$insertTo_table_Two = insert_to_db($tableTwo_query,'condtion 2', 'Table_Two');

@diafol
I need this to insert all data in to one database that will be managed (add,remove parts) and one database which will not be editable and will record compete input history.

@veedeoo
Thank you my friend :))

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.