Hello,

For me it is weird this thing:

Let say there is a part of xml:

<result comments="LAST :T3 DIST : 3/4" favouritenews="WINNER & T3" id="3131846" message="OFF" 

nonrunners="0" ran="6" settlingstatus="D" statuscode="O">
<position fav="jf" id="8669343" name="Elizas Impact" num="1" photo="N" position="1" runnernumber="4" 

selectionref="26973474" sp="11/4" winnersTime="00:00:28.920"/>
<position id="8669348" name="Amazing Madam" num="2" photo="N" position="2" runnernumber="6" 

selectionref="26973476" sp="9/2" winningdistance="3/4"/>
<position deadheat="A" id="8669349" name="Ardera Nelson" num="3" photo="N" position="3" 

runnernumber="1" selectionref="26973471" sp="4/1" winningdistance="3/4"/>
<position deadheat="B" id="8669350" name="Borna Trumpet" num="4" photo="N" position="3" 

runnernumber="2" selectionref="26973472" sp="3/1" winningdistance="DHT"/>
</result>

I load this to the object with this function - simplexml_load_string

When I do:

print_r($event->result->position);

it prints only the first position tag. BUt if I would do

print_r($event->result);

I think it would look as array of positions.

And when I do this:

$winners = $this->get_winners($event->result->position);

function get_winners() {
 foreach ($position as $pos) {
    // runs trhoug all positions - how is that posible?
 }
}

It is actincg as array. So runs thorug all positions as in xml.

So then why I cannot access all positions with

print_r($event->result->position);

but only first one? I did bit of googling - and it migt have something to do with iterators. But then print_r function does not pirnt out any information about those iterators. How can I know when they are existing, which not and so on.

I mean by experimenting I found out this weirdness, but when programming it would be good to know exacly why things are such. Even for my co-worker when I showed that - was weird.

Contributors
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by pritaeas

I think because result is an iterator, calling ->position just returns the current item, which you can move with next or rewind. Because Iterator is implemented as an interface, print_r (old function) has no way to detect this. Outputting result just calls the Iterator showing all position objects.

Edited by pritaeas

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.