Good evening,

I have a client that wants to be able to display a list of contacts that have requested a call back from him.

On this list he wants their phone number that was submitted.

This is easy stuff to here...

But then he wants to click on the displayed phone number and have it automatically dial that number through skype.

I've been searching the web and daniweb and haven't found a REAL solution.

the closest thing I have found is this

// sample version
<a href="callto://usernameOrphonenumber/">Whatever you want here</a>
// my version
<a href="callto://<?php print $row_data[$rc][5];?>/"><?php print $row_data[$rc][5]; ?></a>

I have tried it several times but haven't been able to get it to do anything other than open skype to the point where you enter a phone number to call.

Is there a way to do this automatically??

And then the secondary question would be, Is it going to matter the format that someone has entered their phone number in? Some people use periods as separaters, some use dashes, some don't use anything, some include country code, etc...

Is there an efficient way to cause the number to be just numeric digits? I'm guessing REGEX of some sort...

Any assistance or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Douglas

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Thank you diafol for your response, but that isn't actually what I need to be able to do.

That references setting up a means for website visitors to call into a certain username/phone.

But what I need is just the opposite, to be able to go from a list of phone numbers whether cell or landline or even skype numbers, and by clicking on the phone number, have it make the connection through my clients skype on his computer and initiate the phone call. According to all indications, it should be able to be done, but just haven't been able to scrape up a working model to fashion it after.

I will keep looking, and when I find the solution I will share it here so everyone can see the solution.

thanks again
Douglas

Thank you also pzuurveen for your response...

I have been all over the dev.skype website, and it seems it continues running me in circles and doesn't give me a clear and concise resolution to my question.

I joined the forum and 3 other dev programs and still no luck getting it worked out.

Seems that it should be a simple application, but finding it is the hard part.

Member Avatar for diafol

I'm sure phpBB used to have an extension that did this. Maybe I'm wrong.

Well, yes I think that may be one solution... the client would have to install Click to Call on his computer, then he could click any phone number on his screen to call it... at least that is what it looks like.

Not exactly what I thought I was looking for, but may be an even better solution then linking the phone numbers in the list to a skype call. The only drawback to this solution is that each of the clients dealers across the US and CA would have to do install the same thing on their systems to utilize this option.

May just implement this now and keep looking anyway..

thanks again diafol.

Douglas

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.