Hi folks,

I've recently got into doing a bit of web development and got hosting for it.

The website is consisted of mainly 3 separate folders(one for home page, 2 for 2subdomains) under the html root directory to avoid cluttering.
To get to my home page on my main domain, I used to do a redirect via a html meta refresh, so i would have an index.html file under the root directory which then redirects into the 'homePage' folder. I have since learnt that this is ugly and not a recommended way to do so.

At the moment I have a ".htaccess" file under the main directory with the following line inside.

Redirect 301 /index.html http://www.mydomain.com/homepagefolder 

This works very well when I type in "www.mydomain.com", it will just redirect the client to "www.mydomain.com/homepagefolder". But when I tried to access a subdomain (e.g. "subdomain.mydomain.com"). The client would also get redirected to "www.mydomain.com/homepagefolder".

I would like to know the correct way of doing the redirecting, or if there is a better way to achieve what I'm trying to do. I'm very new to web hosting and web development so any help is appreciated!

Cheers

Edited by yxBen

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by LastMitch
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?myDomain.com$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URL} !^/folder/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /folder/$1 [R=301]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?myDomain$
RewriteRule ^(/)?$ folder/index.html [L]

I ended up doing this, and have it working now. (found the code from here). The code produces 2 temporary redirect rules. I've added a flag for the first one to make it a permenant redirect, but I couldnt do it for the second one. I'm not sure how that will affect SEO...

Look at this code and used it:

The code in the article through the link you provided is for directory a link request for a subdomain to a sub-directory (if I understood correctly) which was already working for me. What i needed was a way to redirect my domain to a sub-directory instead of under root, without redirecting my subdomains into the domain as well.

Edited by yxBen

What i needed was a way to redirect my domain to a sub-directory instead of under root, without redirecting my subdomains into the domain as well.

A sub-directory is in a folder. To redirect the domain to the sub-directory you just do the opposite. I have a website and also a sub-directory. To redirect I used the same code that I provided above.

But as long you got an answer on your own then everything is good because you found an answer to your issue.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.