<?php
include ( './includes/template_pageTop.php' );

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {
    $username = $_POST['username'];
    $password = $_POST['password'];
    $check_username = mysql_query("SELECT username FROM users WHERE username='$username'");
    $numrows = mysql_num_rows($check_username);
    if ($numrows != 1) {
    echo 'That User doesn\'t exist.';
    }
    else
    {
    $check_password = mysql_query("SELECT password FROM users WHERE password='$password' && username='$username'");
    while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($check_password)) {
    $password_db = $row['password'];

if ($password_db == $password) {
    echo 'You can log the user in';
    }
   }
  }
}

?>

I am trying to create a login using this code and I keed getting this error "Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/a9600273/public_html/login.php on line 8".

I can see lots of threads on here about this kind of error, but I can't seem to fix this.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

Did you connect?

Jump to Post

Does it have error checking? It's wise to add error checking to the query too.

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

Yes, I have a connection script.

Does it have error checking? It's wise to add error checking to the query too.

After adding error checking I fund it walogging in but was not selecting the table with the data, so I changed the connection script I was using to the one belown (orginal found here)

//conection:
$link = mysqli_connect("host","username","password","database") or die("Error " . mysqli_error($link));

//consultation:

$query = "SELECT firstname FROM users";

//execute the query.

$result = $link->query($query) or die("Error in the consult.." . mysqli_error($link));

//display information:

while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result)) {
   echo $row["firstname"] . "<br>";
}

When I use this I just get a 'Access denied' error saying

"Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Access denied for user 'a9600273'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/a9600273/public_html/login.php on line 8"

Any problems with this code?

The error message states you don't have access. Check the priviliges, or check for typos.

I wonder why the error states mysql_query(), since you're using MySQLi.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.