Hi all,

I need to make a function, that returns the number of checkbox groups that has any values marked.

So im not after the checkbox alone, nor their values - Lets say I have 4 groups on the page - I need to know how many groups the user has marked.

<input type="checkbox" name="groupOne" value="17" />
<input type="checkbox" name="groupOne" value="16" />
<input type="checkbox" name="groupTwo" value="acer" />
<input type="checkbox" name="groupTwo" value="dell" />
<input type="checkbox" name="groupThree" value="intel" />
<input type="checkbox" name="groupThree" value="amd" />
<input type="checkbox" name="groupFour" value="windows" />
<input type="checkbox" name="groupFour" value="mac" />

I have this, which is not dynamic - And im sure their is a smarter way - Maybe using .map (jquery), in some way?

$( '.cb' ).click( function( e ) 
{
    var totalCheckedGroups = 0;

if( $( "input[name='groupOne[]']" ).is(':checked') && $( "input[name='groupTwo[]']" ).is(':checked') )
    {
        totalCheckedGroups = 2;
        console.log( totalCheckedGroups );
    }
    else if( $( "input[name='groupOne[]']" ).is(':checked') || $( "input[name='groupTwo[]']" ).is(':checked') )
    {
        totalCheckedGroups = 1;
        console.log( totalCheckedGroups );
    }
});

The more groups I need to check for, im getting too many scenarious to check for.

Anyone knows of a way to dynamically retreive the amount of groups holding anything from 1-xx values in JQuerian?

Best, Klemme

Edited by klemme

Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Troy III

This made me a little curious since I have never had a reason to do this and who knows, I might have a reason for it later.

This may be useful
http://jsfiddle.net/pixelsoul/E3jF9/

It goes through all of the checked checkboxes in a form and gets their names. It adds them to an array if they do not already exist. I made it a function so it is flexible and you can bind it to more than one event. There might be a better/easier way to do it, I didn't have a lot of time.

Edited by pixelsoul

@pixelsoul like it but id parse out the "[]" for cases where your outputting id numbers so group1[1] would still match group1[2]

function getChecked(o){ var i=0, grp={};
    while(o[i])o[i].checked?
    grp[o[i].name]?
    grp[o[i].name].push(o[i]):grp[o[i].name]=[o[i]]:0, i++; 
return grp;
}

invoking this function getChecked(myForm) will return you an object who's property-names are the names of groups containing currently checked elements, which can be further processed (if and as required).

Edited by Troy III

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.