Hi, i was wondering how is working with MVC to put my website on the webserver!!

I mean, my fear is about the database... if i make some change on my code and i wnat to put the project on the server, will i lose my data on the database of the server?

and if my changes are more then coding changes and i have to change something on the database, once i will put the project online, will i update the database? vill i lode some data? or all of them??

Somebody coul explain me how it works,

Thanks

I mean, my fear is about the database... if i make some change on my code and i wnat to put the project on the server, will i lose my data on the database of the server?

I assume that you have this project locally on your computer. This is your development environment. When you are ready to publish to a public web server, you would have to have the same components set up there as well. You need access to a database server where ever you are hosting this.

Then, all you would do is update the connection strings in your project accordingly. Unfortunatley I know very little to no MVC (I'm into asp.net web forms), but this partion of the process to get your site online should be the same whether we are talking about web forms or mvc, asp.net or php.

and if my changes are more then coding changes and i have to change something on the database, once i will put the project online, will i update the database?

Yes, you will need to update the configuration of your db online as well. Many people handle this by writing the sql code in a script then copy your script online and execute the script on the provider's db. Or you can make the changes manually using the interface the provider gives you but that adds the risk of making a mistake and not having your dev and prod DB be configured the same.

vill i lode some data? or all of them??

I dont see why you would loose data. If you dB is not setup correctly online, your web application will likely encounter errors and crash. If you dev environment and prod environment are setup exactly the same, you shouldnt have any problems.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.