Hello everyone, I am trying to get a code that will check the length of the a 'key' that will be generated in xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xx format. I need it to verify that it meets the requirements. I do not need it to validate on the server, but i do need it for my registration page. I have been looking at the web for examples, but the best i can see is using the $("#formname").validate(); but need it for just the kkey section.

Any help would be great! Thanks

Recommended Answers

When you say length, you mean the number of characters? if so, you can simply create a variable in javascript and assign teh "key" to this string, then just check its length. yourstring.length

if (!yourstring.length == someNumber) {
    // its not the correct length, do something... …
Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

When you say length, you mean the number of characters? if so, you can simply create a variable in javascript and assign teh "key" to this string, then just check its length. yourstring.length

if (!yourstring.length == someNumber) {
    // its not the correct length, do something...
}

The key is going to have dashes, and 20 characters long.

12345-67890-15975-14

if(!regkey.length == 20(plus dashes?) {
 alert(This key is not the required length);
}

Like that?

20 includes all characters in that string, including dashes. Sorry, made a minor mistake with my if condition. should be if (length != 20) { ... }

check this example. http://jsfiddle.net/X9px7/

keep in mind, this is just a very simple example. You can use Regular Expressions (regex) if you really want to apply specific rules to what is allowed to be entered. For example, you can write a rule to make sure that a certain format is followed, i.e. 5 numbers, then a dash, then 5 numbers, another dash, another 5 numberss, another dash, then two numbers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.