Hi,

I'm running into a strange issue on my iPage hosted version of my website. When logging into my system, $_SESSION["id"] contains the User ID of the logged in user. Somewhere else on my site I am doing something like this to retrieve the ID of a page:

if (isset($_GET["id"])) {
        $id = $_GET["id"];

// Do something with the $id.
    }

However, this actually seems to change the value of $_SESSION["id"]. I tried doing the following to confirm this:

if (isset($_GET["id"])) {
        echo $_SESSION["id"];
        $id = $_GET["id"];
        echo $_SESSION["id"];
    }

This doesn't happen when running my website on my local LAMP environment. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to remedy it?

Thank,
Jonathon

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Might be that your webhost has register_globals enabled. Register_globals is deprecated since PHP 5.3, so if this is the case, your webhost is running an older PHP version. I guess you can see if register_globals is turned on or off by using phpinfo(), but I'm not sure.

How come you are using 2 echo commands?

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried turning register_globals off through .htaccess but it causes me to get a 500 error. I've tried to reproduce the problem at home on my WAMP server but I am unable to reproduce it regardless of the register_globals setting. Any more ideas?

Thanks for your suggestion Minitauros. I've had my web host turn off register_globals for my site and it seems to have done the trick. I wondered why I was unable to reproduce the problem at home on my WAMP server but I've just noticed it's running PHP 5.4 in which register_globals was removed.

Thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.