and the new home for codeIgniter is (drumbeat please... and another drumbeat) ...The British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) in Vancouver, Canada.

Please read the official announcement from ellislab here.

IMHO, the decision made by the EllisLab is in the best interest of CodeIgniter. Although, I am not sure how far this framework can evolved in the future, I am standing by on what type of license the BCIT will have on their CodeIgniter release.

I am hoping that BCIT will remove the PHP 4 fallback and focus on the implementation of the PHP 5 standards. This could have been done by many fine coders long time ago, but due to licensing restrictions, no one even bothered to take the first step. The version 2.2.0 was an execllent move, but still the PHP 5 coding standards are partially implemented.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Yeah, read this the other day, and was supprised that the university was teaching students to code with CI.. To me that was a reasurrance that, CI is a solid framework and should be used on a higher level. I find CI to be my goto framework on small projects, and as of this year moving on to large scale projects, hoping to get into more robust web applications.

Thanks for the news! I'll be following this closely, as DaniWeb is based on CI.

The new license for the CodeIgniter effective 12 days ago is MIT. Ref: British Columbia Institute of Technology

as shown on system/core/Controller.php updated 12 days ago.

<?php
/**
* CodeIgniter
* An open source application development framework for PHP 5.2.4 or newer
* This content is released under the MIT License (MIT)
* Copyright (c) 2014, British Columbia Institute of Technology
* Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
* of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
* in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
* to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
* copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
* furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
* The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
* all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
* THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
* IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
* FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
* AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
* LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
* OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
* THE SOFTWARE.
* @package  CodeIgniter
* @author   EllisLab Dev Team
* @copyright    Copyright (c) 2008 - 2014, EllisLab, Inc. (http://ellislab.com/)
* @copyright    Copyright (c) 2014, British Columbia Institute of Technology (http://bcit.ca/)
* @license  http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT MIT License
* @link http://codeigniter.com
* @since    Version 1.0.0
* @filesource
*/

I am currently testing the CodeIgniter 3.x, or you can view flavors option here.

I will be bribing my mentor and my friend to write a tutorial focusing on modularization (similar to HMVC) of codeIgniter which can truly demonstrate the great potential of CI3.

Modularization can make codeIgniter to handle many applications running in just ONE framework, while maintaining the separation of concerns. So, app1 can have template engine different than app2. App1 and App2 can have their own libraries and helpers and own preferred template engine. Applications can share common libraries, helpers, config file if necessary, and own triad directories (controllers, models and views).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.