So I am planning on being a full time web-developer. But at the moment I'm not sure really what kind of college options I have. I've looked but I haven't really found any kind of "web-developing degrees". I always thought I would go to college but uh... well I'm not really sure which direction I should go in. Do I even need to go to college, are there programs or specializations that I should get? I live in Florida if that makes a difference by the way.

You don't have to go to college to be a successful web developer if you're good at learning on your own. There are a ton of resources online to learn everything you need to know to be successful. The great thing about web development is you don't need much outside of a computer to do the job.

If you were wanting to go to college, don't go for a "web development degree". These are a waste of money in my opinion. By the time you graduate, everything you were taught is out dated (if not already outdated at the time it's being taught). I would recommend a degree in Computer Science, this teaches the fundamentals and helps lay a foundation for you to apply towards a career in a technology field. The thing with web development is, it's constantly changing day to day. You will be in a constant state of learning to stay current with where the technology is going.

So in short, don't wait for school. Start learning today, and go find some tutorials online to go through. Ask questions online (like daniweb.com), and prepare to spend a lot of time on your computer. Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.