I have a code for countdown timer and it works perfectly fine..

<html>
<title>project prelim</title>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
var ss = 10;

function countdown() {
ss = ss-1;

if (ss<0) {
window.location="testover.html";
}
else {
document.getElementById("countdown").innerHTML=ss;
window.setTimeout("countdown()", 1000);
}
}
</script>

</head>
<body onload="countdown()">
<center>
<table width="100%" height="600px" style="text-align:center;">
<tr><td valign="center"><h3>Redirecting to testover <h2 id="countdown"></h2></h3></td></tr>
</table>
</center>
</body>
</html>

Now if I am implementing it in a form which has a button like

<form action="batman.php" method="post">

<button id="submit" type="submit" >Submit</button>

</form>

The code which I have does not do the form submit action. How can I make the form submit action happen automatically as soon as the timer runs out .

Contributors
Replies
Views
2 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by bdanie

I think something like this should work:

document.getElementById('submit').click();

But why the hell are you creating a countdown redirect if nothing actually happens during the countdown? :p

Why would you scare the hell out of somebody by saying this form will be submitted in 10...9...8... seconds? Submission of forms should be under the control of the user - especially if you have a submit button.

I'd rather see a 'disable' button event and 'too late' message. Maybe you have a unique use case. WHat are you trying to do exactly? Is this some sort of online test?

Yes, it is for an online test sort of a thing. I'm in very early stages development and the above code is just a sample of what I'm going to do actually. It is a test of duration 10 minutes and I give the user the liberty to submit whenever he feels like within the 10 minute duration and as soon as the 10th minute is over I want to automatically submit the form and redirect the user to another page !

OK, just be aware that scripts like these can be bypassed with things like Tamper/Greasemonkey. So, effectively, giving your user unlimited time to complete the test. Ensure that the times are logged server side too to catch out potential clever dicks.

This test will happen in systems at our place and it will run in localhost with just LAN connectivity with no Internet connection ! Our systems run CentOS and users will have access to a user account where they cant acutally change any of the system settings. Thanks All !!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.