Hello ladies and gents, i hope you are all well! Just recently joined this site looks great and easy to use.

I am just getting into php and msql i have managed to create a table that spits out the data but i am looking for a really simple way to paginate this while loop so it only shows a certain number of rows, then some buttons to load the next page.

Could any please point me in the right direction here? i have came acros some crazy examples.. Just looking for a clean simple way.

Many thanks.

<h2 align="center">List of Companies</h2> <table id="ver-minimalist" align="center" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" width="100%"> <thead> <th>No</th> <th>Name</th> <th>Company</th> <th>Revenue</th> <th>Location</th> <th>Action</th> </thead> <?php
                        while ($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($query)) {
                            echo "<tr> <td>".$i."</td> <td>".$row['name']."</td> <td>".$row['company']."</td> <td>".$row['revenue']."</td> <td>".$row['location']."</td> <td align='center'> <a href='index.php?epr=delete&id=".$row['id']."'>DELETE</a> |
                                   <a href='index.php?epr=update&id=".$row['id']."'>UPDATE</a> |  
                               </td> </tr>";

?> </table> </table>

Edited by deceptikon: Moved to appropriate forum

11 Months
Discussion Span
Last Post by diafol

The general approach is to do two queries.

Since you didn't include the code that generated your result set, I will use a simple example.

The idea is to do a SELECT COUNT(*) query to figure out how many rows there are in the table, then do a separate SELECT * query to get the current page of data.

$where = '1=1'; // If you have any conditions in your query, include them here
$perPage = 25;
if(isset($_GET['p'])) {
    $page = (int)$_GET['p']-1; // Get the page selected
} else {
    $page = 0;

$countSQL = 'SELECT COUNT(*) As total_rows FROM table_name WHERE '.$where;
// Now get the current page of text
$pageSQL = 'SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE '.$where.' LIMIT '.($page*$perPage).','.$perPage;
$query = mysql_query($countSQL);
$pageCount = $query['total_rows'] / $perPage;
$query = mysql_query($pageSQL);

Now you'll have a populated query object and a pageCount variable telling you how many pages there are.

Add something like this to the end of the page, under your table to render a list of pages:

for($i = 1; $i <= $pageCount; $i++) {
    echo '<a href="?p='.$i.'">'.$i.'</a> ';

This code isn't tested but should be very close to what you need to do.

See this page for info about MySQL LIMIT http://www.mysqltutorial.org/mysql-limit.aspx

Edited by Isaac_4

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.