How can I use jQuery's .stop() to stop all animations and not just for one specific selector.

In my use case, I don't know the element being animated.

Does this function bubble? Can I do something like $(document).stop(true, false); ??

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Never mind. I was able to come up with a workaround for my use case in which I no longer need to stop animation. However, I'd still love to know the answer to this question. Is it possible to stop all jQuery animations?

https://api.jquery.com/stop/

Animations may be stopped globally by setting the property $.fx.off to true. When this is done, all animation methods will immediately set elements to their final state when called, rather than displaying an effect.

commented: Not what I was asking -8

Hi pritaeas,

That's something different than what I was asking. When the .stop() command is called on an element actively being animated, the animation will stop in its tracks, half shown and half hidden.

By changing that global $.fx.off variable, you're simply disabling all of jQuery's animation functionality. It simply means that animation effects will be disabled globally, and any method designed to cause a transition animation (slide up, slide down, etc.) will instead just hide/show the element without any animations.

What I was asking, and actually no longer need the answer to, but it would still be good to know, is if there's a way in jQuery to call the .stop() method not on a single element / selector, but globally, and have all currently animated elements stop in their tracks.

How about turning it off and on again? Turning it off would instantly stop all animations. Turning it back on will only start new animations, no?

commented: The IT Crowd videos start playing! +15

Modifying the $.fx.off property does not affect animations currently in motion.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.