Hi everyone,

I let a friend use a directory on my website for his art e-zine. He emailed me this morning because he's having trouble getting 2 forms with the same javascript to work on the same page.

I really don't know anything about javascript, though (neither does he), and we can't quite figure out how to make it work. He just copied/pasted the script from somewhere.

He has 2 drop-down lists on the page. One is a menu of paintings by a particular artist; the second is a menu of drawings by the same artist.

There is a script for each of the 2 forms, that makes it so when a menu item is selected, you are taken to that page in question immediately, without having to hit a "go" button or something of that nature.

It works fine when only one form is on the page, but when the second form is added, neither work.

If anyone can enlighten us, I'd be most appreciative.

The URL is http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/thirdpage/pullMDSx.html

Thanks so much!!
cheers ~
Denise

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Your problem is that you have two functions with the same name calling two forms with the same.

For the first form/script:

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!-- Begin
function formHandler(form){
var URL = document.form.site.options[document.form.site.selectedIndex].value;
window.location.href = URL;
}
// End -->
</script>
<center><p></p>
<form name="form" action="get">
<select name="site" size=1 onChange="javascript:formHandler()">

For the second form/scrpt:

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!-- Begin
function formHandler2(form){
var URL = document.form2.site2.options[document.form2.site2.selectedIndex].value;
window.location.href = URL;
}
// End -->
</script>
<center><p></p>
<form name="form2" action="get">
<select name="site2" size=1 onChange="javascript:formHandler2()">

note changes to the function names, object names , form names, and select names.

Ah! Thanks so much. That makes so much sense. So simple, really.

Sure appreciate the help!

cheers ~
Denise

No Problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.