Hi, I'm looking for a replacement for FREE web hosting, since Vista Print bought Webs.com and ruined it for everyone.
I cant find a place to transfer my HTML code without monthly Domain and hosting fees.
I started this website back in the old Geocities days, then Yahoo bought the site and started charging... then I found Webs.com... it worked fine for about 10 years.
I'd like to find another free host as I use this for personal links that I use every day.
I make no profit from it at all.
I haven't been able to update in several months and it could just disappear from the universe at any moment. Webs.com is still hosting the my files (for now) but I cant access to add, subtract or transfer.

Thanx for any help!!
Dan

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I've never heard of Webs.com and, to be honest, this is a big ask because I actually haven't heard of any free web hosting companies in the past decade. Many, many, many years ago I started with Xoom, which was essentially a competitor to Geocities (and was also free). Of course, they're not around anymore either.

I did some Googling and came across Hostinger

Wix I believe used to also offer a free website builder, but I'm not sure if they still have free plans.

Good luck!!

Free webhosting seems to have disappeared from sight, and all the free ones had some restrictions anyway.
But wordpress.COM offers free hosting (not to be confused with wordpress.ORG, which gives you free wordpress, free themes, free plugins to use elsewhere). The domain will include wordpress.com in the name - I think it's something like mysitename.wordpress.com It doesn't give as many free things as are possible with paid hosting, there are some restrictions on themes and plugins available for example.

You would have to copy and paste your text content and images, rather than your html, css, images, javascript etc. So you would do this on a page by page basis. But it is free, remember. Learning to use wordpress is not difficult, but a good design and layout can take time to learn if you are a beginner. But WP is easy to work with. You could open two free accounts, get your content in place in one account, and practice things in the other, experimenting with themes and plugins. I personally use a test wp site of my own with a different webhost to experiment with things, rather than messing up a client's own site first.

Also, while looking for a clue to a SQL query's error, I ended up on w3schools, which has improved a lot from its earlier incarnations. And can across this https://www.w3schools.com/spaces/ Free website space. That might help you.

And there is always https://www.blogger.com/ which gives free blogging space. Not sure if that helps you, but it is out there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.