Hey all. I have tried my hand at some simple programming in both ASP.NET and PHP. Now I am pitching a complex website to some investors where I will be outsourcing to professional developers. I must decide between PHP and ASP.NET platforms.

In my experience, ASP.NET seems to offer a lot more than PHP but PHP certainly seems to do enough for most any website.

The big difference, then seems to be in price in the long term. ASP.NET would require major software costs to scale the website.

I guess I'm wondering if there are major advantages to one platform over the other and what people's opinions are on developing from a robust and scalable platform.

Much appreciated,
Andrew

Hey all. I have tried my hand at some simple programming in both ASP.NET and PHP. Now I am pitching a complex website to some investors where I will be outsourcing to professional developers. I must decide between PHP and ASP.NET platforms.

In my experience, ASP.NET seems to offer a lot more than PHP but PHP certainly seems to do enough for most any website.

The big difference, then seems to be in price in the long term. ASP.NET would require major software costs to scale the website.

I guess I'm wondering if there are major advantages to one platform over the other and what people's opinions are on developing from a robust and scalable platform.

Much appreciated,
Andrew

Ahh, the age old question of MS vs. Open Source.....
In your opinion, ASP is a better platform, well then go for that. If you are comfortable with MS products then stick with it.

I will have to disagree with you on the part about asp offering more than php, have you heard of PECL, PEAR, phpclasses.org? There are a ton of open source projects out there written in php, you can probibly find what ever it is you are building out there already.

If you are wondering what my opinion is on developing from a robust and scalable platform, I love *nix. M$ cant touch open source in any ascpect (except desktop computing, maybe). Why choose an OS that BARELY runs on a 32 bit arch, let alone a 64 bit or heaven forbid, multi-processors/cores. By running on multi-core i mean being able to actually utilize them, not just show them in the system profile.

This is all just IMHO, MS lovers please dont get your undies in a bunch. Good luck with what ever it is you are building.

Let the flame wars begin! =]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.