HI,

I paid a web development company many thousands of dollars to develop a photo community site using PHP. After many months of delays the project was delivered, however much of the code is sloppy and nothing was commented. But that's not the problem I need help with today.

This morning I learned that no one with a Windows PC and IE can access the site, all pages that are PHP display an "Operation Aborted" box. I've searched the net and this site (great site by the way!) and although there are many mentions of IE bugs and PHP I can't find anything that directly relates to this issue.

If you have a PC and Windows (I'm a mac user), try this URL and let me know if you have any idea of what is happening and how I might fix this.

http://www.xtremecamera.com/index.php?section=gallery. You can substitute "gallery" with words like "messages", "home", "photoupload" all these will return the same error.

Its going to be tough enough to find members for this site, but if IE users can't use it that cuts out a whole lot of people from even trying it out.

Please help:eek:

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Without seeing the code its hard to find out.

I have loaded the page in IE7 and can see the erro that is appearing. From another point of view, as you paid a company a shit load of money, go back to them and complain. They may have delivered you a website, but a website which will effectly stop 60% of the internet looking/using it.

Bitch, moan and complain, but in a nice way and you should get it fixed. After all, you've paid

Thanks for your reply. I have complained, bitched, yelled, and everything else, to no end. I being told that even though I paid a lot for the site I got it cheap. If I had a nickel for everytime I heard "This site would have cost you 5 times as much if you had a larger company do it" I'd be rich. So that's not going to help....

I'd be happy to send you any page to look at if you want, just let me know.

thanks again!

John

they said that?

damn.. did you get any documents to say that they would support it etc after its built?

you need to post the contents of index.php up here, so that we can all see and help.. or add it as an attachement or something

Yes, they really did... of course, they are willing to help at $40 an hour. Which is a fine amount for real tech support, but if the site never worked as it should then they should make sure it does before I should have to pay for support.

I asked that the project be "modular" in that there would be 3 parts to every page, a side content, top content and main content, so the index page is actually a kind of map for PHP to know which pages to load where, if you know what I mean. so I am going to attach the index page, the gallery page, the top-nav page, and the header nav so that you or anyone else can see how its put together. The config file is very small, having just the SQL connect data and the prices for the memberships... there is no real Auth script, or a lot of other things I have since learned should have been a part of the project.

It would be great to get any advice on how to fix things. Thank you!

Hi XtremeCamera,

Sorry to hear about what happened to you. :(

What you describe is usually caused by JavaScript that manipulates the DOM (Document Object Module) during the window.load() event. (ie: when window.onload is fired).

The Other cases I know of is when PHP or JavaScript or a combination of both has an unending loop of redirects. (This would show up in FF usually, so is unlikely the cause for you).
When there are too many <script> tags in your document body. IE does not like it especially if it deals with the DOM or imported XML DOMs.
Sometimes, it can be that JavaScript has Objects that reference themselves (closures) that can create memory leaks. IE is more susceptible to this..

I took a look at your page, and from the HTML source, there are a number of JS libs. These are common libs (most of them).

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="xc_js/xc_modules.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="xc_js/sifr.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="xc_js/sifr-addons.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="xc_js/prototype.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="xc_js/scriptaculous.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="xc_js/moo.fx.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="xc_js/behaviour.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="xc_js/lightbox.js"></script>

The script:
http://www.xtremecamera.com/xc_js/xc_modules.js

is not a comon library, so it could be the cause. (The common libs are tested well). It has a few functions that manipulate the DOM just after the window loads.

What I would do it remove that script reference altogether from the index.php page, and see if it solves things.

It it does, the workaround is to go to the last few lines:

Change:

window.onload	= function() { SI.onload(); };
window.onresize	= function() { SI.onresize(); };
/**/

to

window.onload	= function() { 
SI.load_timeout = setTimeout( function() {
SI.onload(); 
}, 200);

};
/**/

That will delay the load for 200 milliseconds so IE finishes up with the DOM creation before manipulating the DOM..

Another odd thing is that your page has another page (<html> node) inside the <body>. Not sure how IE takes this considering your doctype..

Thank you! Although your solution didn't work it sure pointed me in the right direction.... :)

The culprit is the xc_modules script, taking that single link out of the index page solved the problem with IE, however the functions in that script are vital to the working site. But at least I now know what's causing the problem.

I've attached that script to this post, if you or anyone else can please take a peek at it and see if anything jumps out at you I would be most grateful. Now that I know which script has been causing all this I'm at least on the right track, and without your insight I would not have gotten that far. So, thank you again!

John

Thank you! Although your solution didn't work it sure pointed me in the right direction.... :)

The culprit is the xc_modules script, taking that single link out of the index page solved the problem with IE, however the functions in that script are vital to the working site. But at least I now know what's causing the problem.

I've attached that script to this post, if you or anyone else can please take a peek at it and see if anything jumps out at you I would be most grateful. Now that I know which script has been causing all this I'm at least on the right track, and without your insight I would not have gotten that far. So, thank you again!

John

no prob...

Try changing the code posted in my last post to..

window.onload	= function() { 
SI.load_timeout = setTimeout( function() {
SI.onload(); 
}, 200);

};

/**/

IE doesn't like resizing the window during onload also... maybe thats the problem...

or try the "HTML, CSS and JavaScript" forum. :)

Thank you again! I'm sorry to report that replacing the code (in xc_modules.js) didn't do the trick. Am I supposed to restart the server or anything? I'm assuming not... but you never know.

I went ahead and posted in the javascript section, just because I think there might be a problem with the entire script. But at least with your help I was able to pin-point the problem, and for that I am very grateful.

This is a terrific site, with many helpful people, I'm glad I found it. My strong suits are photoshop and photography so if anyone needs anything about these two topics I'll be glad to help.

Thanks again,

John
xtremecamera

You better work on english version then pluging french to wich very few people will understand

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.