I need to find the information about Client machine by using Javascript :

Information like :

How much Avaliable sapce on clinet's machine ?

Need to find RAM size .

Operation System.

Can we have any built in Active X control to get all these values ?

Thanks in advacne,

MAngesh

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I need to find the information about Client machine by using Javascript :

Information like :

How much Avaliable sapce on clinet's machine ?

Need to find RAM size .

Operation System.

Can we have any built in Active X control to get all these values ?

Thanks in advacne,

MAngesh

You can use navigator.platform to get the OS. The other things you are trying to do - well using JS they are impossible. Browsers to to great lengths to protect the user and his/her machine from prying eyes. Available disk space and RAM - browsers and the JS engine will take the quite reasonable view that such information is not of relevance to the Internet world at large. You could use an ActiveX control to do this job but that is IE specific and the wrong way forward. You would be better off asking yourself why you need this information and why you need it.

Our internal website we need to have this functionality. For helpdesk people they can decide whether user allow to install any software dynamically.
thanks for the inforamtion. Do u have any information about active X conteol..Is that control available free ?

Our internal website we need to have this functionality. For helpdesk people they can decide whether user allow to install any software dynamically.
thanks for the inforamtion. Do u have any information about active X conteol..Is that control available free ?

There may well be a ready made ActiveX control out there that does what you want but I doubt it - such information is probably collated by a lot of ActiveXs but that would be in a much larger context specific to the provider of the control. Why don't you just write the control yourself? Doing this in Delphi is incredibly easy - just elect to create a new ActiveX control by going to the ActiveX tab in the File-> New menu item.

The information you want is pretty basic so it should not take you more than a few minutes to hammer out the control. More of an issue is that you will have to make sure it is a signed control to stand a chance that your IE users are going to acccept it. Make sure you are in a position to do this before investing time in creating the control.

I never worked on Delphi. Can we do it by using VB ? Or can you please give me url of any Actove x control ?

Will you please guide how to achive this from ACtive x Control ?
Thanks

What you are asking for is a serious security breach when done on the internet. It might even be a crime.

If all of this is on an internal office intranet, you need a system like LAN-School, where a master computer can take over control of another computer with that software installed.

I need to know Client machine is whether connected with web cam or not ..
Please do me some favour for that..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.