Not sure if this is a PHP or a MySQL problem...I am pretty new at both. Basically I have a .php form that is writing data to the db just fine and most of the data is saving back to the .php file fine. I have several "text" boxes that I am using varchar...as well as some using "text" and int for the db. Anyway...when I got to using "textarea" it fails. Here is a little code from both the _db.php and the .php. Any help would be much appreciated.

From the DB:

$EXT = $_POST[EXT];
$Collab = $_POST[Collab];
$WSR = $_POST[WSR];
$AWIPS = $_POST[AWIPS];
$Other = $_POST[Other];
$Misc = $_POST[Misc];
$Backup = $_POST[Backup];
$dateString = $year."-".$month."-".$day;
$dbhost=$_SERVER['DB_HOST'];
$strConn=@mysql_connect($dbhost,"*******","*******");
mysql_select_db("shift_duties",$strConn);
$table="A_shift_duties";

mysql_query("UPDATE $table SET `month`='$month',`day`='$day',`year`='$year',`LT`='$LT',`ST`='$ST',`HMT`='$HMT',`Sick`='$Sick',`Annual`='$Annual',`Comp`='$Comp',`OT`='$OT',`AFD`='$AFD',`CCF`='$CCF',`ZFP`='$ZFP',`ZON`='$ZON',`PFM`='$PFM',`AFM`='$AFM',`HWO`='$HWO',`FWF`='$FWF',`FWL`='$FWL',`RFI`='$RFI',`RFD`='$RFD',`WXStory`='$WXStory',`RWSKS`='$RWSKS',`SendNDFD`='$SendNDFD',`EXT`='$EXT',`Collab`='$Collab',`WSR`='$WSR',`AWIPS`='$AWIPS',`Other`='$Other',`Misc`='$Misc',`Backup`='$Backup' WHERE `date`='$dateString'") or die (mysql_error());
?>

From the .php:

if($row['Collab'] == ""){
       echo"<td width='794' bgcolor='#C0C0C0'><p>Collaboration:</p><p><textarea name='Collab' cols='69' rows='5' wrap='physical'></textarea></p></td>";
    }else{
       $Collab[$i] = $row['Collab'];
    echo"<td width='794' bgcolor='#C0C0C0'><p>Collaboration:</p><p><textarea name='Collab' cols='69' rows='5' wrap='physical' value='.$Collab[$i].'></textarea></p></td>";
         }

Thanks
DS

Member Avatar for fatihpiristine

first: put in this form
$EXT = $_POST;

or why dont you use form post method if you are new to this?

$dbhost=$_SERVER; =>
$dbbost= "locahost"; #or 127.0.0.1

here what if you same dates on your db...
your record will be involved... track the ID
WHERE `date`='$dateString'")

and if you are trying to post ur sql script before assing the values to those variables.. it will return "ZERO"

u cannot add anyting to textarea like this
' rows='5' wrap='physical' value='.$Collab[$i].'></textarea><

----
<textarea name='Collab' cols='69' rows='5' wrap='physical'> <?php print $Collab[$i] ?>
</textarea>

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.