Hello there.....i just learnt how to use the the oleDb commands to insert into the a database i created from vb.net,but the problem is.....i cannot insert anythin else than OleDbType.VarChar
or i dunno how to insert anything else

this is my code......i need help to insert the value of my datetimepicker to my database

DatAdapter.InsertCommand = New OleDbCommand("INSERT INTO Staff(StaffName,BirthDate,Gender,Address,Phone,Position,StaffID,SystemPassword) VALUES(@StaffName,@BirthDate,@Gender,@Address,@Phone,@Position,@StaffID,@SystemPassword)")
DatAdapter.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@StaffName", OleDbType.VarChar, 40, "StaffName")
DatAdapter.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@BirthDate", OleDbType.Date, 20, "BirthDate")
DatAdapter.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Gender", OleDbType.VarChar, 40, "Gender")
DatAdapter.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Address", OleDbType.VarChar, 40, "Address")
DatAdapter.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Phone", OleDbType.VarChar, 40, "Phone")
DatAdapter.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@Position", OleDbType.VarChar, 40, "Position")
DatAdapter.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@SystemPassword", OleDbType.VarChar, 40, "SystemPassword")

DatAdapter.InsertCommand.Parameters.Add("@BirthDate", OleDbType.Date, 20, "BirthDate")

Then My button where all is executed

Dim dr As DataRow
dr= ds.Tables(0).NewRow()

dr("StaffName") = TextBox2.Text
dr("BirthDate") = DateTimePicker1.Value
dr("Gender") = ComboBox1.Text
dr("Address") = TextBox3.Text
dr("Phone") = TextBox4.Text
dr("Position") = ComboBox2.Text
dr("StaffID") = FirstPass.Text
dr("SystemPassword") = SecondPass.Text

ds.Tables(0).Rows.Add(dr)
DatAdapter.Update(ds)
ds.AcceptChanges()

Hi ... im fairly new to this aswell so ...

if the date field in your database is set to dateTime then you have to add the date selected from the dateTimePicker in date format

Dim var As Date  'Declare a date variable
var = DateTimePicker1.Value.Date    'Get the date!

dr("BirthDate") = var

Something to that effect :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.