I am new to Oracle and SQL. I need to write a select statement for a student extract at a college. For ex:

select ss_id from id_table

This will return all id's from this table and they are a length of 9 digits, i need to return just the last 6 so i can import them as student passwords. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Also i am using TOAD, and/or SQL Plus

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Thank you very much, that is exactly what i needed. This was the 3rd forum i tryed in a list from google and you are the first to get it right, and i also appreciate the link.

commented: all the best +6

Other method:

select substr(ss_id, -6) from id_table

I am new to Oracle and SQL. I need to write a select statement for a student extract at a college. For ex:

select ss_id from id_table

This will return all id's from this table and they are a length of 9 digits, i need to return just the last 6 so i can import them as student passwords. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Also i am using TOAD, and/or SQL Plus

select substr(ss_id, -6) from id_table

this should work for you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.