So I started my own project to make a website. Since I know much more about coding a website than designing it I came up with the idea to code the website for now and once its fully functional begin designing it.

Is this a good idea (I am about half way through coding it)?

Is there an app that makes design a breeze? Like once I make my own images, is there an app that will allow me to easily move things around to its right position and what not?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

So have you got a skeleton site, with hmtl (or whatever you are coding) and css for layout? Are you looking to integrate images and styling into without messing up functionality and layout?

Not even CSS just a skeleton site.... and yes.

Well not really knowing how proficient you are at coding (as to not patronize you)

i always start off with these couple of basic layouts, they give you a fairly fluid layout (centered in the page at all times) and then i'd just work in some repeating gradients or colours etc...

HTML

<html>
<body>

<div class="container">

<div id="header">

</div>

<div id="content">

</div>

<div id="footer">

</div>

</div>

</body>
</html>

CSS

/*--------------------------------Globals--------------------------------*/

html,body {
background-image: url('/images/bodybackground.png');
height: 100%;
}

* {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
border: none;
}

/*--------------------------------Container--------------------------------*/

.container {
height: 100%;
width: 1200px;
margin: auto;
background-image: url('/images/main-content.png');
}

/*--------------------------------Header--------------------------------*/

#header {
height: 250px; 
width: 1000px;
}

/*--------------------------------Content--------------------------------*/

#content {
height: 400px;
}

/*--------------------------------Footer--------------------------------*/

#footer {
height: 100px;
}

Hope this helps in some way!

Thanks it does! And yes I am a novice in this stuff.

I was actually hoping to code it and then ask someone to design it (if I can find someone to do it for free) and give them credits for it on the site.

The coding process is already taking way to long I can only imagine that design for a newb would even take longer.

I mean to be honest, the coding bit is the harder part, the design work just depends on how creative you are (one thing i struggle with). If you get to the stage where you've coded something up, feel free to send the files over and i'll wrap a bit of design around it for you to look at!

Member Avatar for rajarajan2017

Its not the way that you have followed, somewhat a designing should be done even not with an enhanced level.So start with designing and integerate the code part. If you have a good skeleton to work with design that it might be ok. But not for practice.

A few questions:

Did you flowchart the site and how you wanted the various sections to flow?
Do you have an idea how your visitors are going to get to one page to another?
Have you had a friend test out if they can figure out how to get to specific pages?
Can you get around to specific pages?

Rajarajan07 is correct in designing the interface first - this will save time coding since you know what you want to code, and not having to changed it each time you want to alter a layout.

Pencil and paper are the best start, and then you can use photoshop (or gimp) to come up with a look that you like. It doesn't have to be fancy - but it gives you the direction to go with coding.

I guess you could look at the flowchart and design as the map for your coding, that way it gets to the finished website more efficiently.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.