hello admin/mods,

I am facing a problem. I have PMed an admin and a mod about this earlier and the issue wasnt resolved as it bought a new issue.

I am a masters student from London and I posted a question here on the forums when I was stuck doing a coursework.

the link to my question is : http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread298069.html

now the problem is that my professor told me that if the code is found on the internet, I would be subjected to plagarism and will fail my semester.

I tried explaining him that I've just got pointers and not the whole code, i was told that the check would be done by the software final verdict would be done by the software.

I have searched trough the daniweb site and I realised that the staff doesn't delete any of the threads. So, Im requesting you to remove the coding in my thread so that you and I can both be benfited from this moderation.

could you please help me out?
thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

On behalf of the moderators here I think I've already given a fairly good reply to your query via PM as to "why" we don't delete threads on user request. Unfortunately, creating a thread in the Community Feedback section won't change it since rules are rules which have to be followed by mods and admins alike. If you *still* are unconvinced, you can get in touch with the site owner "cscgal" though I'm pretty sure that won't change a thing.

BTW, I hope your TA understands the situation here and you get the credit which you deserve for completing the assignment on your own.

1. Every student at the start of new school year, specifically at universities, is strongly encouraged to read university rules in regards of plagiarism which also includes sections how to use external resources and how to write reports. If you did you would know how much you can relay on internet forums
2. Properly referenced coursework that includes works of others or perhaps some resources used has nothing to fear from teacher or academic board(if you failed to mention any of this in your report and only verbally notified your teacher then that is obviously your mistake)
3. Every year teachers are trying to put fear into students with some copyrights machine, but either it does not exists or it has very low margin because during my last 5 years study nobody was punished and I'm aware of many of the offenders

You cannot plagiarize your own code. Any sentient human being looking at that thread would see six pages of you working through issues with the original code you posted. Unless you copied the original post code from another source on the net, I don't see where you would have any problems defending that thread.

Yes I agree. His prof didn't forbid him from getting help on the net, just for copying someone else's work and calling it his own.

1. Every student at the start of new school year, specifically at universities, is strongly encouraged to read university rules in regards of plagiarism which also includes sections how to use external resources and how to write reports. If you did you would know how much you can relay on internet forums

my bad, thats the one thing I didnt do.

3. Every year teachers are trying to put fear into students with some copyrights machine, but either it does not exists or it has very low margin because during my last 5 years study nobody was punished and I'm aware of many of the offenders

My friends have been victims of these "machines" inspite of them working hard and not cheating.

anyways, according to the regulations of my institute, Plagarism constitutes

"The presentation by the student as their own work of a body of material (written, visual or oral) which is wholly or partially the work of another, either in concept or expression, or which is a direct copy".

You cannot plagiarize your own code. Any sentient human being looking at that thread would see six pages of you working through issues with the original code you posted. Unless you copied the original post code from another source on the net, I don't see where you would have any problems defending that thread..

a human can understand that I've been working hard to get it done, but when a software (plagarism checker) tries verifying the result wont be the same.

Yes I agree. His prof didn't forbid him from getting help on the net, just for copying someone else's work and calling it his own.

the bottom line, is I will include a link to the thread in my documentation and hope that I would pass.

BUT I am just requesting the mod/admin to remove the "CODE" from the thread which I've posted here and not the thread/post itself.

The code is very much a part of the content of the thread and as such cannot be deleted.

The presentation by the student as their own work of a body of material (written, visual or oral) which is wholly or partially the work of another

And who would be the "another" here? As long as you can prove that this Daniweb account actually belongs to you, it really shouldn't be a problem. It's not as if you won't be given a chance to prove your innocence.

BUT I am just requesting the mod/admin to remove the "CODE" from the thread which I've posted here and not the thread/post itself.

You do realize that it would render the thread useless, right? Or to put it another way, would you have been able to resolve the issue without posting code snippets?

>>which is wholly or partially the work of another, either in concept or expression, or which is a direct copy".

That would make half the commercial programs and operating systems violate the rules of plagurism :icon_eek: The US courts have already ruled that concepts/ideas can not be copyright.

General concept here being that a post placed in the forums is not deleted unless it contravenes the rules of the site. The reason being that the posts are left in-tact in order to benefit others who may encounter similar/same issues as yourself in future visits to the site.

Having read through your thread in question, you have to admit that the removal of the code from the posts in the thread would constitute the same effect as essentially deleting the thread in the first place.

While I can sympathize with your plight in regards to being concerned about being penalized for 'plagarism' unfairly, I am also certain that there would exist appeals procedures within the institution you are attending where you would be able to state your case and prove that the code content was, in fact, yours to begin with and that you simply received conceptual assistance from the DaniWeb Community.

On the other hand, as indicated a few times above, it's highly unlikely that you could be penalized for having used DaniWeb in the first place.

As a final note, this thread should really not have been created as:

1. The definitive answer had already been provided by private means by a moderator of the site
  2. The rules and policies of the site are available for reading prior to posting and support the definitive answer that was provided by the moderator
  3. Posting another thread and pointing to the original thread only adds yet another 'link source' for search engines such as google to reference that post with

Hoping for the best for you with your project though :)

I would say that you should just tell your professor your concerns. If he/she sees you are honest and have nothing to worry about, he/she will probably just let it pass. If you are all sketchy and weird about it, then you will probably get in trouble.
It comes down to this: if you cheated, you will get in trouble...but it appears as though you put a lot of effort and just had a few pointers here and there...if you know you have done nothing wrong, then you have nothing to fear except for stupid administration errors at universities (i know of this very well).
Best of luck
Bordeaux0113

That would make half the commercial programs and operating systems violate the rules of plagurism The US courts have already ruled that concepts/ideas can not be copyright.

more than 70% of the universities here in UK have their plagiarism defined as the statement posted above.

While I can sympathize with your plight in regards to being concerned about being penalized for 'plagarism' unfairly, I am also certain that there would exist appeals procedures within the institution you are attending where you would be able to state your case and prove that the code content was, in fact, yours to begin with and that you simply received conceptual assistance from the DaniWeb Community.

I will try my best to convince my professor that I worked on the code with help from people on daniweb.

thanks for your help guys.

>>more than 70% of the universities here in UK have their plagiarism defined as the statement posted above.

So if someone asked you what color to paint s house, and you told him brown, the university would call that plagurism even though you painted that house yourself? Odd.

Just rewrite that section of the program. It's only a couple hundred lines of code.

Hi,

I have remained silent in this thread up until now, as whenever issues of this type are emailed to me, I reply back stating our policy. However, I wanted to allow other members of our community to respond back without you feeling as if they were coached by me or simply following my lead.

I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers,
Dani

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.