Is it possible to get a direct link to the rankings page? If not, is it possible to add a direct link, say next to your logged in status etc.

Every user now has to go to his personal page and access the rankings page from there.:)

WASDted commented: helpful question +0

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

The "Top Members by Rank" link next to the member count in the left hand corner at the top of the page works for me, though it doesn't give you the same "relative" personalized view as the one given by your profile page.

But then again, since I'm on the first page, it works out well for me.

┐( ̄3 ̄)┌

commented: helpful answer :) +0

Show off:)

This is the reason I have asked the question. Newbies won't be able to see what their rankings are, unless they go via their personal info page. It's nice to see the "Hot Shots", but if I am say 595th in my posting count, I will not be able to get their via this link....

The reason for having that link on your profile page as opposed to the site "header" is that it presents you with a personalized view of the ranking at Daniweb. It is a metric which is similar to *your* upvoted posts, your post distribution in different forums, your reputation power etc.

A new link can be added at the top but I feel that it is currently at the right place. Another place would to be place it similar to how reputation and solved thread count are shown on hovering over the avatar, but some might argue about the cluttered interface. So yeah... :-)

I actually like the idea of your ranking showing up whilst hovering over the avatar. It will give a quick glimpse of a total reputation of the poster, and not just his rep and solved.

My other reason for asking about a direct link is because of the time consumption on opening your own page, then selecting the rankings option and then view the rankings. That is like opening 3 pages before you get to what you are looking for. I am sure a lot of posters is going to get annoyed by this, which will eventually result in them not bothered about rankings anyway.

Now, if I understood the previous posts well enough, it seems that the ranking system is primarily for the newbies, on which I agree. Keep them occupied and they will return. Much like the carrot dangling scenario.

I actually like the idea of your ranking showing up whilst hovering over the avatar. It will give a quick glimpse of a total reputation of the poster, and not just his rep and solved.

But based on the experience with dealing with these kinds of changes, I'm sure someone would comment on the "cluttered" hover box and some might even ask for links in the same. :-)

My other reason for asking about a direct link is because of the time consumption on opening your own page, then selecting the rankings option and then view the rankings. That is like opening 3 pages before you get to what you are looking for. I am sure a lot of posters is going to get annoyed by this, which will eventually result in them not bothered about rankings anyway.

This brings up the question: how much is "just enough" when it comes to presenting data upfront to the user. This is a pretty much involved topic in its own sense (usability I mean) and might require a couple of big changes (e.g. bring fields A, B, C on the profile page to the footer, bring fields X,Y,Z to header etc.).

Now, if I understood the previous posts well enough, it seems that the ranking system is primarily for the newbies, on which I agree.

Not exactly newbies, basically new members who might want to be part of the contributing ecosystem but kind of fail to find the necessary motivation to do the same. Hence the concept of "activity points" which are calculated on daily basis. This might result in even a new member getting to the "top" for a given day if he has a lot of activity.

Keep them occupied and they will return. Much like the carrot dangling scenario.

You make it seems as though Daniweb is in the business of "mesmerizing the simple minded with propaganda which keeps them [new members] blinded". :-)

:)

You make it seems as though Daniweb is in the business of "mesmerizing the simple minded with propaganda which keeps them [new members] blinded". :-)

C'mon, we all like to see that we have just helped a poster getting a good solution to his problem. That same poster will start spending more time on Daniweb because now HE wants to get up the ranks making sure that more people spend time here, more exposure to the advertisers, more money coming in, enabling Dani to sleep at night, resulting in us getting a better product in Daniweb, ensuring more people joining, and so the wheel turns....:) given the fact that a poster can get to his ranking much easier....:)

This brings up the question: how much is "just enough" when it comes to presenting data upfront to the user. This is a pretty much involved topic in its own sense (usability I mean) and might require a couple of big changes (e.g. bring fields A, B, C on the profile page to the footer, bring fields X,Y,Z to header etc.).

Understandable, but do we want to see a half hearted attempt at reaching all posters by the new ranking system, or do we only want to admire the top 100 (absolutely no pun intended:))?

But based on the experience with dealing with these kinds of changes, I'm sure someone would comment on the "cluttered" hover box and some might even ask for links in the same. :-)

Lastly, of course I do understand that not everybody can be catered for, as is the case with any web community. I just thought that if the "newer" posters is inspired, the more regular traffic we will have here, pointing back at the first wheel of events.

Oh yeah, with plenty of :) :) :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.