He at the end doesnt care if its formatted correctly to the standards of Daniweb

Other people do, most won't bother to read unformatted code. If the poster could care less why should we?

The end-user is trying to make a post. He at the end doesnt care if its formatted correctly to the standards of Daniweb.

Poorly formatted code is a major turn off to the regulars on the site, discourages responses, kills our search engine rankings, and can be an overall usability nightmare. All because someone is too lazy to help us to help them.

If your posting system thinks it is code, just automatically set it as code.

Our system is aware that something isn't quite right, but isn't capable of figuring out where the code necessarily is meant to start and end.

riahc3,

You can't post code snippets. You can't attach files. You're the only person complaining, but it seems that is because you are experiencing something very different from all the rest of us. Maybe we'd all be complaining if things were as broken for us as they seem to be for you.

Unfortunately it seems all of your problems are related to browser plugins that you're using that are manipulating DaniWeb from working the way it was designed.

Our system is aware that something isn't quite right, but isn't capable of figuring out where the code necessarily is meant to start and end.

Let me give an example:

Person A Types:

Hi everyone! Blah blah blah.
Here is my code:

#include<iostream.h>
int main()
{
    cout << "Hello World";
}

Please help me.

In this case, the system knows something is wrong because it sees curly braces (almost always used within code) that aren't indented.

Person B Types:

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie and I need help.
Here is my code:
int main()
{
foo();
}

int foo()
{
cout << "Hi again";
}

In this second case, the system is also flagged because it sees curly braces that aren't indented. However, the system has no way of differentiating between what Person A wrote and what Person B wrote. This is an incredibly over-simplified case, but the end result is that there just aren't heuristics to determine where a poster intended a code snippet to begin and end.

With Person A, the code snippet is preceded and followed by a blank line. With Person B, there are no blank lines preceding the code snippet, and the blank line does not indicate the end of the snippet.

The best we can do is what was suggested earlier today, which we now do, which is highlight the line that the system has an issue with.

Actually, I occasionally have problems too. Like this post, I had to put the entire thing in code tags because it didn't like some of the comments I made without them. None of the text contains tabs or curly braces{ and } It shouldn't be so difficult to format the text. If the algorithm wants to look for 4 spaces then check for them at the beginning of the line, not somewhere in the middle of the line. If I want to put 5 spaces between sentences I should be able to do that as long as the spaces are not at the beginning of the line. I just found out that was actually the problem with the link I posted above.

Why did you put the entire thing in code tags like that?? ...

c++ has static functions just like the ones on C language, and it also has static class methods, which one do you mean?

Static Functions
Static functions are visible to only the *.cpp file in which it is defined. This is only really useful in programs that have two or more *.cpp files in the project. A static function in one *.cpp file can not be called from functions in other *.cpp files. Static functions are probably most useful in libraries and DLLs where you don't want application programs calling them.

Static Methods

A static class method is one in which there is one, and only one instance regardless of the number of instances of the class itself. A static method can not access any of the instance variables of the class or call any of the instance class methods. This means that if a class has two methods, foo() and bar(), and foo() is a static method and bar() is not, then foo() can not call bar(), but bar() can call foo().

class MyClass
{
public:
    static int foo() {return 0;}
    int bar() { return foo(); }
};

Why did you put the entire thing in code tags like that?? ...

Beczuse it wouldn't let me make the post without them. The text under Static Functions contained 5 spaces between sentences, which triggerfed the algorithm to think it was code. I started putting each of the paragraphs in code tags until the system would accept the post without error. Put 5 spaces back between sentences and you will probbly see the error too.

I'm confused why you didn't just remove the extra spaces. :(

There is currently not an API to post. Write functionality is very limited, sorry.

OK I misunderstood you; I thought you were going to in the future allow posting as well, sorry

riahc3, You can't post code snippets. You can't attach files. You're the only person complaining, but it seems that is because you are experiencing something very different from all the rest of us. Maybe we'd all be complaining if things were as broken for us as they seem to be for you. Unfortunately it seems all of your problems are related to browser plugins that you're using that are manipulating DaniWeb from working the way it was designed.

Its only me? Ancient Dragon also has issues. Its only me? Theres a thread made by another member about the attaching issue (It was solved but nonetheless). I really hope the error highlight feature helps out (I havent been able to test it out yet) but Its not only me...

OK I misunderstood you; I thought you were going to in the future allow posting as well, sorry

By "in the future" I meant I'll re-evaluate the situation in a few weeks/months. In other words, I'm not closing the door on the idea, but it's not something immediately planned.

Its only me? Ancient Dragon also has issues.

I'm not aware of AD having issues? Did I miss his thread? Were they related to a plugin as well?

What do you mean about not being able to post code to our library? That shouldn't be affected by the Files uploader?

I'm confused why you didn't just remove the extra spaces. :(

Because I didn't know that was the problem until after I posted in this thread. I eventually figured it out but it should not have been that difficult for me to do.

commented: Well written: "it should not have been that difficult for me to do" Sums up the editor right there +0

By "in the future" I meant I'll re-evaluate the situation in a few weeks/months. In other words, I'm not closing the door on the idea, but it's not something immediately planned.

My mistake.

I'm not aware of AD having issues? Did I miss his thread? Were they related to a plugin as well?

What do you mean about not being able to post code to our library? That shouldn't be affected by the Files uploader?

AD (see previous post) has issues with the editor as well. Thats what I ment. I asked it two times because the second time was referring to the files bug which there was a thread about and it ended in being about a extension.

If it is aboout extension, then I apoligize as that has nothing to do 100% with Daniweb; Although my extensions are purely web related (FireBug, FirePHP, CacheToggle, Web Developer, EventBug and FiddlerHook)

Does the Files uploader still not work with all your extensions disabled??

Does the Files uploader still not work with all your extensions disabled??

FOR NOW, it seems to be working correctly....

commented: the 'FOR NOW' really shows your appreciation for those making it work ... +0

Why resurrect a 5 month old thread that you could've replied to sooner if you wanted to?

Why resurrect a 5 month old thread that you could've replied to sooner if you wanted to?

I did not see Dani's reply until now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.