Do you mean you're going to turn it on again then? :)

Nope, meant turn it off (Was currently turned on) as it wasn't what I thought it would be and hotmail has quite poor facilities in terms of rule construction (Very simplistic compared to the desktop version of outlook), would take me forever to set it up to function how I wanted.

I've indeed noticed the same issue about trying to reply through my gmail address.

it's indeed a nice feature, but so is disabling it: by just visiting the forum I can estimate based on the title whether I'll be able to help, so won't get notices from each thread created.

I just read an email where someone created a new thread in the c++ forum. For curosity I used my browser to read the questions, and there was already 3 responses, yet I did not get emails for any of them. Shouldn't there be emails for the responses too?? No point in me attempting to answer a question which has already been resolved.

by just visiting the forum I can estimate based on the title whether I'll be able to help, so won't get notices from each thread created.

Two problems with that sentence: (1) you can do the same by reading the email, and (2) thread subjects are not a very good indication of what the question is about.

AD, at this time, you only get an email if there is a NEW thread in one of your favorite forums, or if there's been a REPLY to an article you're watching.

However, you bring up an interesting point. It makes no sense to aimlessly reply to a new thread if you don't know if there have been replies since it's been started. I think I'm going to have to make a change where you get all notifications anytime there's a post in your favorite forums, and not just if the thread is new.

Yes, that's the way the mailing lists I have belonged to worked. Makes for a lot of email in my mailbox, but that's the price we have to pay for joining mailing lists.

OK, I've gone ahead and made the change. Let me know if you notice any odd behavior.

It looks ok to me, I'm now getting all the emails. But I still question the usefullness in the Software forums because the code is unformatted and very difficult to read. But it would be ok in all the other discussion forums.

I'm using Outlook and the code looks formatted to me.

Are you using a smartphone? Also, I see that each email contains all the posts in the thread -- is there a cutoff, such as will it quote all 1000 or so post that are in a few of these threads?

No I'm using Microsoft Outlook, but I was also able to see proper formatting from my iPad Mini. My iPhone made an attempt but the screen was too small so there was a lot of wrapping.

The wrapping is why I said I doubt its usefullyness on smartphones.

Oh I don't really use my iPhone to check my email. I just did as a test to make sure it worked, but I never do that.

I have an iPad Mini which is lightweight and fits very easily into my purse, and I use that whenever I'm on the go.

I though the whole purpose of this is so paople can use smartphones and tablets. I don't think there are a whole lot of members who have tables, but that's just my guess. Maybe a poll would be nice to find out.

Just checked :)

Currently, just under 5% of our audience visits the site with a smartphone. 1.4% of our audience visits the site with a tablet.

But, yes, I agree that being able to easily read long code snippets is not conducive to a smartphone device, but that's simply a limitation of the form factor of smartphones. I think that having plain text email goes a LONG way compared to browsing the forums from a mobile device. I think it brings it up 10 notches from simply not possible to tolerable. I can work to improve the situation as much as possible, but the reality is that code on mobile is never going to be perfect.

But like I said, I think this definitely is 10000% better than trying to navigate the forums from a smartphone. At leat it gives you an easy way to read content and, you might not be able to evaluate long code snippets, but you can still consume the majority of content and follow along.

At leat it gives you an easy way to read content and, you might not be able to evaluate long code snippets, but you can still consume the majority of content and follow along

Assuming you have set aside a separate email account for Daniweb because given the rate at which new threads/replies are posted, you might end up missing other emails (given the limited screen estate for a mobile device). :)

That being said, the concept of a "mail digest" i.e. collating all the events which have occurred for the past 15 mins and sending them across in a single email would help reduce the mail noise and ensure that Daniweb mails don't end up consuming the entire inbox. Right now this looks like a personal email notification system set up by you to avoid missing Daniweb action rather than something built for end user. ;)

We already have the watched articles digest that sends across the last few watched articles that have been updated once an hour, I beleive.

If this were a digest, as well, then (1) It would be awfully confusing if you were to reply to the email which article you were replying to and (2) Since emails include all of the posts in the thread, emails would be ridiculously long and hard to follow.

Keep in mind that these types of mailing lists aren't unheard of, and, for example, I subscribe to a few of them, each with their own folder in my Inbox. This new DaniWeb one functions just like the others.

Since emails include all of the posts in the thread

Can you limit that to just the last 3 or 4 posts in the thread? I don't want an email with all 1,000 replies each time someone replys to one of the Geek's Lounge threads.

Can you limit that to just the last 3 or 4 posts in the thread?

It's already limited to one page of posts (which, off the top of my head is 15 or 20, I think??). If there are more posts than that, it just puts a little ellipsis thingy and then includes the first post of the thread as well.

Great! I was hoping you did that already :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.