I installed WampServer on my Windows 7 Ultilate computer the other day and WordPress yesterday. I attempted to test WP registration in my web site but I never received the registration confirmation email. Is this not possible on localhost? If it is how do I go about getting email to work?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

localhost or not, the machine must have a mail server installed and running or SMTP simply won't work.

localhost or not, the machine must have a mail server installed and running or SMTP simply won't work.

The configuration of the web application, in this case Wordpress, would have the ability to set up SMTP settigns? yes/no? and if so, you should be able to use a local server, or remote SMTP server say to use GMAIL SMTP services?

Now with regard to SMTP in and out of your network, some ISPs do not allow outbound SMTP. This is important because if your ISP blocks outbound SMTP, then even if you set up an SMTP server on your localhost, mail isnt going anywhere because your local SMTP server will need to send mail to other SMTP servers outside of your network.

I'm beginning to think it is not possible from my compuer. I used the instructions here and it doesn't work. All I get is this error and no mail is sent. Strange, the warning indicates the smtp host is localhost, but in php.ini I changed it to mail.gmail.com and port 587

Warning: mail() [<a href='function.mail'>function.mail</a>]: Failed to connect to mailserver at &quot;localhost&quot; port 25, verify your &quot;SMTP&quot; and &quot;smtp_port&quot; setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\wamp\www\testmail.php on line 8
Call Stack

I'm using this php script to test

<?php 
echo 'Attempting to send email'; 

mail(
     '<snipped>',
     'Works!',
     'An email has been generated from your localhost, congratulations!');
echo 'mail sendt'; 

?> 

I wan't able to get email working with WampServer so I uninstalled it and installed Uniform Server, which has SMTP by default, and works well (or at least good enough for my purposes)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.