Thanks pritaeas.
This is most honting feature for noobs. There should be displayed an instruction. There are too much blanks at top & bottom.
And also line numbers have been overlaping and hiding by codes / texts .

@cereal

Wow, how did I miss that HAHAHA. Still curious about the icons

Got a bug.

Went to change my PC Specs, and I get the error message
"This date appears to not be formatted correctly." (and my DOB is MM/dd/yyyy formatted)

Member Avatar for diafol

Where.s the forum list in mobile? If not there unusable in mob

Where.s the forum list in mobile? If not there unusable in mob

Currently you can get to the entire forum list at the bottom of the homepage on mobile. You currently cannot get to the giant list from every page of the site like you can in tablet or desktop mode. It's not ideal, but it was a way of just getting it to exist by launch time. You can also use the navigation menu (accessible from every page) to pull up your list of favorite forums. And, of course, there are breadcrumbs from every forum thread leading back to its forum. Essentially, our mobile mode is the same experience as you would have in desktop mode with any forum system (vBulletin, Xenforo, etc.) out of the box.

However, one of the things I am happy with is that the tablet experience is now as fully functional as the desktop experience, which wasn't the case before.

Overall, nice, but as jwenting pointed out, margins are too wide. Also, I see that you have changed NEW to UNREAD and moved it way across to the other side of the screen. I find this to be less functional because I scan the thread title first then with my peripheral vision I can quickly see if there is anything new in that thread. Now I have to continuously move focus back and forth across the page for every thread. This is tiring on the eyes.

And I know the changes you made were cosmetic, but is there any chance of you adding the hotkey alt-m as a shortcut for mark forum read?

I find this to be less functional because I scan the thread title first then with my peripheral vision I can quickly see if there is anything new in that thread.

You'll notice that if it is unread, the thread title itself is highlighted in blue for your scanning pleasure. No need to divert your eyes.

Member Avatar for diafol

Essentially, our mobile mode is the same experience as you would have in desktop mode with any forum system (vBulletin, Xenforo, etc.) out of the box.

I appreciate that, but if you wanted a vBulletin clone, you wouldn't have needed to create your own code from scratch. Mobile access is increasing in general - not sure about DW stats - so providing an easy-to-use experience should be a consideration. The previous version allowed "Desktop View" - while not great for mobile, at least it allowed me to navigate to my forum of choice without having to go to the front page or running up and down the breadcrumb tree. Without the Desktop View, using DW on mobile has just become that much more awkward and unsatisfying. Not sure what the solution would be though.

Primefaces has a good mobile variant. It's a JSF framework of course, but the ideas can be used for other platforms as well.
Things like a menu that flows over the page as required and disappears when no longer needed or explicitly dismissed.

Mobile access is increasing in general - not sure about DW stats - so providing an easy-to-use experience should be a consideration.

We get virtually no mobile traffic. Perhaps not more than 2% on average. When I created a mobile skin initially, there was no increase at all, so it seems the DaniWeb audience just doesn't use the site from mobile, as a whole, regardless of what it looks like. Meanwhile that new site I created last month, Dazah, receives as much as 30% mobile right from the start.

I'll check out Primefaces tomorrow, err, today. Pulled an allnighter optimizing database queries here and it's now nearly sunrise.

A request. Originally we got a little yellow square that said like "me" when we commented on a post. Now it's a reallly faint yellow speech bubble. Could we brighten that up a little to see easier

(I do miss havign the "New" and "Me" boxes right next to each other instead of Unread on the right, but I could probably get use to that if I have to)

As was mentioned yesterday, unread articles have their title highlighted in blue, so there is no need to constantly divert the eyes right and left when scanning the list.

Ohh yeah? Is there anyway that could be darkened a little? It's a little faint.

I also ask for these darkenings because if on say a laptop and turn down my brightness a little to save battery life, they become a little tricker to see

Member Avatar for diafol

When I created a mobile skin initially, there was no increase at all, so it seems the DaniWeb audience just doesn't use the site from mobile, as a whole, regardless of what it looks like

Well, I said that I had to use the "Desktop View" on it because I didn't find it very mobile friendly. So instead of using DW on the move, I'd usually wait until I was on the laptop at home. So not surprising that you don't get much mobile traffic.

That sounded a bit narky - sorry, wasn't meant to be.

And I second the call to make a "ME" thread more obvious. It's not a question of flagging UNREAD.

There seems to be quite a bit of icon-driven signposts here, which are not that intuitive. I originally thought the yellow speech bubble was 'in chatroom'.

What I mean is that I'm pretty confident that our mobile friendliness is not a huge factor in how much mobile traffic we get. Keep in mind that 95% of our traffic are passers-by from a Google search who have no idea what the mobile experience is like before clicking through. (Not many are asking programming-related questions on mobile in the first place.)

Either way, they don't know what the experience is like before they arrive. Having a mobile friendly site could be the difference in the conversion rate, bounce rate, time spent on site, etc. But not the difference between clicking through from a Google search or not. Our experience is considered optimized for mobile in Google's eyes, so we are not being filtered out of mobile Google results.

Contrast this with Dazah which gets so much mobile traffic right out of the box, even before we had mobile usability at all.

It's the nature of the audience and demographics and how they land on the site (Google search, social media, word of mouth, returning visitor, etc.) that determines how many search users we get in the first place. Then, the quality of the mobile experience determines if they stay or not.

The reality of the situation is simply that not a lot of people are performing programming related queries on their cellphones compared to from their desktops. That's never going to change until mobile phones have an efficient way to copy/paste code from your IDE. So that is the reason we are never going to get a substantial portion of our traffic from mobile. I agree, the experience for those who do come needs to be as best as possible, but I am confident it is never going to rise more than 5%. The amount of mobile traffic we get is soooooo off the scale compared to the number of mobile vs. desktop users as a whole, that there's absolutely no way that the mobile UI is making any bit of a dent in our percentage.

Member Avatar for diafol

I understand that. I am using mobile to check for msgs articles and browse for interesting questions on the forums. I am not arriving via Google. I'm just after some decent usability for getting to a forum without all the rigamarol. Heh heh but I'm beginning to care less and less about it.

Why not just use the Finder menu on mobile and click the link that says "Articles Recommended for Me?"

Just got to ask. The missing categories that is temporary right? (I also noticed a bunch of my endorsements disappeared)

The missing categories that is temporary right?

No.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.