http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Day_(United_States)

Constitution Day (or Citizenship Day) is an American federal observance that recognizes the ratification of the United States Constitution, and also recognizes all who have become citizens due to either coming of age or naturalization. It is observed on September 17, the day the U.S. Constitutional Convention signed the Constitution in 1787.

CONSTITUTION DAY 2008

“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America... Done... the seventeenth day of September, in the year of our LORD one thousand seven hundred and eighty seven.” —George Washington and the delegates

Today, 17 September, marks the 221st anniversary of the Constitution’s signing by our nation’s Founders.

Recommended Answers

All 36 Replies

Canceled by Executive Order until further notice.

Get back to work. Move along.

commented: Obama hasn't been elected yet. :icon_razz: -3

Canceled by Executive Order until further notice.

Get back to work. Move along.

The Obamessiah ("voluntary mandatory national service", etc.) isn't YET in office, so that can still be avoided.

“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America... Done... the seventeenth day of September, in the year of our LORD one thousand seven hundred and eighty seven.” —George Washington and the delegates

Today, 17 September, marks the 221st anniversary of the Constitution’s signing by our nation’s Founders.

Hear-hear!!
I am an American!
One of the few titles that I don't mind to be labeled with. I consider it an honor and a privilege.

May we always have the courage to stand by those principles, and reason to feel proud about it.

commented: Absolutely agree :) +36

The Obamessiah ("voluntary mandatory national service", etc.) isn't YET in office, so that can still be avoided.

Give it a few more weeks and his name will be forgotten.

and also recognizes all who have become citizens due to either coming of age or naturalization.

Am I missing something? Natural born Americans become citizens the minute they are born. There is no minimum age requirements to be a citizen. Even if the parents remove the child from USA the kid is still a life-long citizen unless he/she decides otherwise.

Click here.

May we always have the courage to stand by those principles

Tell that to the justice system.

Tell that to the justice system.

Every chance I get. But not today.
Today I celebrate the efforts of those before me, that dreamed, and sacrificed much, so I could be living in a nation, that even with all its faults, provides for my family and I, and inspires me to pursue after anything praiseworthy and of good report.
There would always be another time to be pessimist.

Abuses of the next administration may yet be avoided, but those of the current cannot.
:-/

Thank you so much Dave for pointing out the all important US constitution.

May I point out that Barack Obama taught constitutional law at the prestigious University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004. I am sure he will not soil this important document in any way, unlike the present administration.

You should learn how to hide your true colors a little bit better, sugar puddin'.
First you use the document with sarcasm:

Thank you so much Dave for pointing out the all important US constitution.

and later on try to convince us that you have respect for it:

I am sure he will not soil this important document in any way, unlike the present administration.

Manipulator! All that you wanted to show it is some support for Mister Obama. But what you have achieved it is to show what kind of supporters he attracts.

[edit:] Here, have a cookie and enjoy.

Manipulator! All that you wanted to show it is some support for Mister Obama. But what you have achieved it is to show what kind of supporters he attracts.

Yah, hmhm, yep, that's right!

You should learn how to hide your true colors a little bit better, sugar puddin'.

Okay Dave, tone down and stop that name calling stuff!

My advice:
"Remember that fear always lurks behind perfectionism. Confronting your fears and allowing yourself the right to be human can, paradoxically, make you a far happier and more productive person."

Aia, I see you are up to your old tricks. You consider yourself superior; arbiter of what other people mean, then try to hit them with YOUR meaning. and to top it off, you managed to drag creationism into a discussion about the constitution. This is why people will reject McCain/Palin - the citizens of the US do not want another 4 years anti-intellectuals ruining this country.

Okay Dave, tone down and stop that name calling stuff!

What did you not like, the sugar or the puddin'?
Oh, and I am not Dave. How sweet that you're thinking of him.

Aia, I see you are up to your old tricks. You consider yourself superior; [...blah, blah, blah, and more blah.]

Funny, I never felt superior to anyone, and never even hinted to it. However, I know someone that works in that frame of mind. Do you remember this?

[...]
Of course I am presumptuous; how could I not be, especially as I choose this definition: impertinently bold; forward.

Am I sorry that you didn't like the linked funny. Perhaps, this time there's luck?

Funny, I never felt superior to anyone, and never even hinted to it. However, I know someone that works in that frame of mind. Do you remember this?

Am I sorry that you didn't like the linked funny. Perhaps, this time there's luck?

That one's not funny either.

Got to send Dave off to comedy school. Even stick in the mud conservatism can be cured.

That one's not funny either.

How about this one, personalized just for you, you'll like I am sure? No hidden trick, I promise. ;)
For added value scroll down for a even funnier one. Haha!

Got to send Dave off to comedy school. Even stick in the mud conservatism can be cured.

Gash!, I this point, I can't decide if it is just a crush with Dave what you have, or just plain obsession.

Republicans and democrats, you all are so funny. Republican politicians say they're republicans and then act like democrats and democrats are a bunch of pansies. Either way you go, more and more stupid laws get added constantly until one day the whole country is so constricted every body will have to walk on pins and needles and make sure they don't offend someone else in the process. If you wanna know what I think, I think we should be voting for media organizations since that is who actually runs things in this country.

If you wanna know what I think, I think we should be voting for media organizations since that is who actually runs things in this country.

I thought MSM was a wholly owned subsidiary of the DNC. :icon_razz:

Republicans and democrats, you all are so funny.

I am glad that at least someone finds it funny. I see liberals but I don't see republicans.
Here, for the special effort you made posting that comment. Enjoy.

[edit:] Oops!, Dave got in front of me, and I guess I have never asked him, if he consider himself a republican.

Let me non-answer this way:

Okay, if an old-fashioned [type] like me is [from one side] — what language do you have left over for the [side mentioned]? I’m for limited government, individual freedom, free trade. Low taxes, light regulation, property rights. Equality under the law, equality of opportunity. Colorblindness, E pluribus unum. Broadly liberal education (and de-ideologized education). A social safety net, though not a social-welfare state. Constitutionalism. Free speech. Religious toleration. A strong national defense. Internationalism. Human rights. A sensible stewardship over the environment (rather than a radical, quasi-religious environmentalism). Etc., etc.

Source.

commented: I would vote for a guy like that. +9

Want some real change? Just in case you are as sick of it as I am and since this is a "US Constitution Day" thread, Meet Bob.

Americans! :)

I have no say in this thread, being that i am from Canada, but honestly anyones got to be better then G Bush.

Okay, if an old-fashioned [type] like me is [from one side] — what language do you have left over for the [side mentioned]? I’m for limited government, individual freedom, free trade. Low taxes, light regulation, property rights. Equality under the law, equality of opportunity. Colorblindness, E pluribus unum. Broadly liberal education (and de-ideologized education). A social safety net, though not a social-welfare state. Constitutionalism. Free speech. Religious toleration. A strong national defense. Internationalism. Human rights. A sensible stewardship over the environment (rather than a radical, quasi-religious environmentalism). Etc., etc.

Source.

Dave, I intend to put you now in the spotlight and ask you some questions that I have, and I want to do it in a friendly atmosphere. I hope you don't mind.
As I read this non-answer response to my comment, I can notice a healthy amount of Libertarian ideology, and Conservatism with some Federalism. As far as I know, there's no political platform that embraces all of these principles at this time. Assuming that I interpret your avatar correctly, and not just like a way of stirring up the "liberal hornet nest", you are inclined to support the Republican ticket at this time. Which lacks many of these principles. What is the reasoning or thought process that justify in your mind this support? I don't want to lead you in the question, but is it like "the best of both evils", or the "alternative is scarier"? What makes you comfortable accepting the McCain/Palin ticket?

I know you have been accused in the past of making heavy use of links and other people works to express your opinion. I don't have any objection toward that approach, since it is similar to what we do when we go to the Hallmark greeting card stand and pick the one that most reflect our feelings for that significant one. Nevertheless, make sure you don't forget to personalize it a little bit and "sign it".
Take your time. ;)

Source.

Dave, I intend to put you now in the spotlight and ask you some questions that I have, and I want to do it in a friendly atmosphere. I hope you don't mind.

Hmmm... Let's give it a try.

As I read this non-answer response to my comment, I can notice a healthy amount of Libertarian ideology, and Conservatism with some Federalism. As far as I know, there's no political platform that embraces all of these principles at this time.

My assumption as well. My ongoing self-assessment most recently had me somewhere in this blur.

Assuming that I interpret your avatar correctly, and not just like a way of stirring up the "liberal hornet nest", you are inclined to support the Republican ticket at this time. Which lacks many of these principles. What is the reasoning or thought process that justify in your mind this support? I don't want to lead you in the question, but is it like "the best of both evils", or the "alternative is scarier"? What makes you comfortable accepting the McCain/Palin ticket?

I believe the "Dave is supporting the Republican ticket, but not the guy at the top" assumption is fairly accurate.

Shortly after her selection, I'd blogged a link to this. Frankly, much happens in this silly season of the political cycle, and following it closely for 3 weeks is a formative process, so I've lost some of the initial *bang*.

I think the main element is this: McCain (who, contrary to the MSM portrayal of him as a conservative is no such thing), in order to achieve the desired top spot went against his own preferences and threw a bone to conservatives. That is, "Put me there, and I'll turn the Republican party over to the conservatives when I'm gone."

And now of course that brings us back a bit to the "lesser of two evils" argument. It is still this case, but the blow was softened considerably. I think Obama would be a complete disaster; I think McCain has the potential to suck but suck much less.

I must say I have truly enjoyed the MSM & Obama camp smear attempts, it's like watching Wile E. Coyote or something.

I'm meandering a bit, and the young'un is demanding my attention, so I'll merely summarize with this: from my political viewpoint, Palin best represents my views. That's what elections are for, IMO, choosing the candidate who best represents one's views and interests.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.